Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Hand for review

3 limpers + BB to flop, I am second from last position with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], UTG has $71, UTG+1 (BB) has $53, I have $101, and last position has $35. flop comes:
9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
giving me bottom set with a possible flush draw / made str8 / made str8 and a flush draw out there. UTG bets $2, UTG+1 raises to $4, I raise to $8 to see where I am and put some cost to a flush draw. Last position calls $8 (?!), UTG calls, and UTG +1 shoves all in $70. Without much of a read, I put him on either Q 10 (maybe of diamonds), JJ or KJ. Would you fold bottom set here ? I found this one of my tougher decisions lately.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Hand for review

Raise more when it gets to you, overbetting the pot would be good. Don't fold.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:51 PM

What is the advantage to raising more when it gets to me ? More informative if he raises back ?
Old 04-11-2004, 02:25 AM

With a board like this one, since you draws hurt you so much, the more your opponents have to pay the better for you. At the same time, yes a reraise to your larger (potsized) raise, the easier it is to lay down your (beat) hand. The way it stands now, the decision is definitely tough, but I would lean towards folding. The reraise, while small still shows stength, and I don't see most opponents going all-in with worse than a set. In the future, reraise more to make draws that much worse, and the fold will be much easier to an all-in.

JKratzer
Old 04-11-2004, 09:41 PM

Thank you Jay! and JKratzer. Overbetting the pot is something I do very rarely and I see this as one of the times it would have been very useful.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:54 AM

Over bet the pot sounds good to me.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:34 PM

The reason for the raise is not to get information, but to charge other hands that are behind you. With this flop, the chances are that you are ahead, but you will get a lot of action, plus your hand is very vulnerable, so get a bunch of money in. If someone has the straight, you still have quite a few outs. What you're really worried about is a higher set, but if that happens, that's just one of those things.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:38 PM

DON'T FOLD. Nor is your big raise for information, it's for value. If you you fold you better have no doubt in your mind that he wouldn't play Ks Js the same.