Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2004, 06:36 AM

Default EP AKo - how should i play this

loose passive .50-1
player to my left is not good
i know nothing about cutoff except he has 6 dollars in front of him

i am in EP with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

1 fold, I raise, player to my left (EP3) coldcalls. folded to CO who 3-bets. folded to BB who calls, both of us call.

flop comes [ J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

BB checks, i bet, EP3 raises, CO 3bets, we both call

turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [ J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

i bet, EP3 calls, CO raises. we both call

river is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

i check, EP3 checks, CO bets. we both call.

thanks

-anunkind
Old 01-29-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: EP AKo - how should i play this

Pre-flop, three players show a lot of strength (EP3, CO and BB). In this situation, I believe you were correct not to re-raise PF (you are out of position, no one was going to drop, and you may not have the best hand).

On the flop, I would have tried for a check-raise. If the EP3 bets and CO raises, you could have dropped your top pair with a clear conscience (and saved a SB). After your bet and the raise and re-raise, your effective odds were only about 3.6:1 but your odds to improve by the river are around 4:1. You have two players showing a LOT of strength and your odds are not good. It was probably not worth chasing.

BTW, what was the final result?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:51 PM

On the flop, I would have tried for a check-raise. If the EP3 bets and CO raises, you could have dropped your top pair with a clear conscience (and saved a SB).

I think folding after a bet and a raise by the CO would be a mistake unless you know the CO to be play passively postflop.

If you wanted to go for a checkraise, that's fine, but I would have followed through with it if it was 1 or 2 bets to me.

This pot is starting to get big and I got TPTK. I'd like to thin the field and move onto the turn.

Luke
Old 01-30-2004, 03:32 AM

This is my first response to a post so I may be way off base but..

I think it is likely that you are against trips or 2 pair. against a set of J's you have 2 outs, against a set of K's you are almost drawing dead ( 2 A's is alot to ask for)and against 2 pr you have 3 A's as outs. I would have bet and folded to the 3 bet.

Thanks
RickA

Old 02-03-2004, 09:45 PM

EP3 had Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and CO had K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

it was the EP player that through me off. i knew i was likely to be ahead of them, and i was since they decided to wait for an overcard to fall before raising their QQ. I kept worrying about the CO also having AK, or given the stack in front of him, something worse. I just felt like a donny when he showed me his kings and i was wondering what i was doing in the hand.

thanks

-anunkind
Old 02-03-2004, 11:29 PM

By the way, from the way CO played the hand, you can see the merits of playing even a very strong hand fast.