Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 04:29 PM

Default My thoughts ....past experience...

Hi everyone,

A few years ago, Dynasty originally came up with the concept of playing against other 2 + 2 members in a shorthanded play money table. We played at Ultimate Bet on Monday and Wednesday nights. We played at a 5 max table.

Dynasty started the program so he could work on his shorthanded game. I along with Mikey, Clarkmeister, Hutz, Acehigh, Allen, Andy B, and several other posters played our A game. We met up for several months before this stopped.

Fast forward to this year. I took the iniative and posted if anyone wanted to develop his or her skills against solid thinking opponents.

3 months later we have the same scenario. People who do not want to take this seriously.

I will commit to create a table every Tuesday night for those who wish to play his or her best game. If anyone wants to play, send me a pm for the password.

This might come off as aloof, however I would like to play against players like Homer, Vehn, Ulysses, Rharless, Brian0729, Guy on Tilt, Barry, Joe Tall, JTG51, Mikey, Gonores, el al. I apologize to those who I left out.

I do not want to play against players who want to bleed chips away. I want to play against players who will make a concerted effort to play well.

Anyone interested send me a pm.

Rant over, time to step off of the soapbox.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Re: The Maniac Tonight

For the love of Pete. Why do you keep talking like you were there? I played my best game. I ended the session up after an hours play. I thought I played well. I didn't freeze up like a deer in headlights. I may have over-exaggerated Blini's isolation plays a bit. But, that is not the point. The players that left didn't leave because they were afraid. THEY LEFT BECAUSE JINKYG WAS PLAYING LIKE A CHILD AND THEY CAN PLAY AGAINST THOSE PLAYERS ELSEWHERE AND MAKE REAL MONEY DOING IT!

The reason good players want to play the 2+2 table is the reason rkiray gave. When that goes away, there is no point playing the 2+2 table any more.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention, you and I got to play HU for a few minutes before the table died (I was ImBoutIt..lol). I hope it's as fun next week!

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks. I enjoyed it, too. The shorthanded play was excellent. We must have been pretty well balanced, because I don't remember anyone winning or losing a great deal. It was one tough table.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:45 PM

Hi MrBlini,

I almost went back to edit my post, and now I wish I did. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was going to edit it to read:

"it sounds like MrBlini was correctly 'over'-isolating?"

The point being, I don't think from the sounds of it that you over-adjusted. If everyone is going to fold to your 3-bet, which seems to have been the theme, then maybe you should be 3-betting even more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2004, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you keep talking like you were there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching the game waiting to get in just before she left.

[ QUOTE ]
THEY LEFT BECAUSE JINKYG WAS PLAYING LIKE A CHILD AND THEY CAN PLAY AGAINST THOSE PLAYERS ELSEWHERE AND MAKE REAL MONEY DOING IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

They should have been putting her in her place like Mr Blini. They should not have let Mr Blini monopolize her. Jinky was playing childishly that is true, but the rest of the table played weakly(Blini excepted).

Vehn said that maniacs at $15-$30 do not last very long, Why is that? Becuase the whole tables pounds on them and the don't allow one player to monopolize the maniac. The tuesday night two plus table can deal with childish maniacs in two ways run em off with strong aggressive play(i.e. the Mr Blini way), or shut em out with private passwords(easier but weak, passive way).

One manaic at a table of strong tight aggressive players is not going to ruin the game. Its not going to turn the game into California no fold em hold em if all the players on the table adjust properly. It will actually be a really good and fun game. A table full of strong tight aggressive players is saddened when the maniac busts out. I'm surprised you people cannot see that.

Stu
Old 01-22-2004, 05:15 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

thank you stu, the point i have been trying to get across in a much more succinct fashion
Old 01-22-2004, 05:27 PM

For the love of Mike! The reason a table full of 15/30 players like the maniacs is because they are at the table to make money. WE DON'T PLAY THE 2+2 TABLE TO MAKE MONEY!

As Vehn said - if he wanted to make money playing against maniacs he'd do it at 15/30 where he'd make real money. If I wanted to play against bad players I'd play 2/4 where I'd make real money (lol).

As it turns out, as soon as JinkyG's streak of good cards ended, she did bust and and went away. The problem is this table is intentionally micro limit. So we can't chase people away by taking their money like you can at higher stakes. She lost $20 - is that going to keep her from coming back?

I didn't think I played weak. I took some of her money. So what? Go back and re-read rkiray and MG's posts as it sums up why the 2+2 table was created and why (most) people want to play at the 2+2 table. If you'd like to create a childish maniac table, please feel free.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As it turns out, as soon as JinkyG's streak of good cards ended, she did bust and and went away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Blini says to himself, "I ain't going to put up with Jinky's crap" and she's gone 101 hands later his stack greatly improved. He had fun and got practice taking advantage of a maniac and a table full of weak passive players, who don't know how to deal with a maniac. One she was gone his gears changed back to playing in a game with reasonable players with reasonable raising and three betting standards.

[ QUOTE ]
Go back and re-read rkiray and MG's posts as it sums up why the 2+2 table was created and why (most) people want to play at the 2+2 table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2+2 game was created so that poker players can improve their games. That means they need to be able to change gears on a dime, and adjust to players and ever changing table conditions. For that you have to have an open table.

A closed table quickly loses it educational value. Go ahead and make it a closed table, I am certainly not disadvantaged if the small stakes two plus twoers wish to practice in a one dimensional game.

Stu

[ QUOTE ]
She lost $20 - is that going to keep her from coming back?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet if two players stood up to her they could chop her up in 50 hands. If 3-4 stand up to her, she will quickly start looking for other .5/$1 games to dominate.

Stu
Old 01-22-2004, 06:10 PM

I checked pokertracker. I was there for 17 hands. I played in 4. Each time I entered I raised and she reraised me. Each time I had a much better starting hand but she sucked out on 3 of the 4. This was a waste of time and NOT why I came to the 2+2 table. It wasn't poker, it was bingo.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:22 PM

Stu, for the record, I'm with you on everything you have posted in this thread.

I play at 2+2 BOTH to listen to/discuss interesting hands in play, AND for entertainment/social value. At the very least, Jinky is pretty entertaining. Some of the exchanges between her and MG last week were so funny that I was peeing in my pants. (MG, the dry cleaner's bill is in the mail!)