Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 AM

Default reverse hold em

Hawiian Gardens is going to spread a reverse hold em game. I dont believe they have done so yet, but the idea would be, flop one, turn one, and river three. The action before the flop would be the same. Any idea what the correct strategy in a game like this would be? Would preflop strategy tighten up? How much would you need to continue on the flop. Any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Re: reverse hold em

Sounds like you'd need a lot of luck.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:07 PM

well, you basically need 2 big cards, and a big pair is especially valuable - it's will be very rare that someone can make a strong hand to crack your pair on 2 cards, and they won't get odds to draw to a 3 flush or 3 straight.
Suited connectors become garbage, and the small pairs and weak suited aces are woth less as well. I can't imagine anyone playing this game for more than a couple hours, so don't strain yourself devising a strategy. Not only will the drawouts be maddening, but far fewer hands will be worth playing. Ato becomes a lot better than T9s, and that doesn't make for an interesting game...

Dan Z.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:59 PM

For it to be truly reverse hold'em, you will need the hole cards to be dealt after the flop, will you not?
Old 01-05-2004, 07:26 PM

I played reverse hold 'em just recently. Whenever my hole cards were A-K, I flopped T-9-8 and whenver I had T-9 I flopped A-A-K.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:43 PM

This has all the signs of a real sucker game, designed to appeal to those who base their poker strategies on hope. You should play big pairs and big cards, make your oppoennts pay fully for the price of getting to the 3-card river and seeing if they get lucky on you.

Forget about smaller suited connectors, and don't value suited cards as you would in a traditional game, because in a sense you're always hoping for runner-runner to make a flush. OTOH, if you have a pair and begin building a four flush on the 1-card flop and turn, you have some extra equity that allows you to be even more aggressive awaiting the 3-card river.

I don't expect this game to last very long. Do you?
______
Lou Krieger
Raise your game with Lou Krieger, author of "Poker For Dummies" and five other poker books at Royal Vegas Poker.
http://www.royalvegaspoker.com/lou
Old 01-05-2004, 08:55 PM

Yes, the hole cards should be dealt last: after the River, Turn and Flop.

Now THAT would be the game for maniacs!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:38 PM

worst idea ever.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Suited connectors become garbage, and the small pairs and weak suited aces are woth less as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that suited connectors and suited aces won't be worth much in this game. But small pocket pairs should do quite well.

Suppose someone limps, I raise with pocket fours, and the blinds and the limper call. Now the first board card comes -- say it's a seven. Well, chances are I have the best hand. Most likely, none of my opponents has a seven. So I can keep betting, and my opponents will find it difficult to call.

In "reverse holdem" I'd much rather have 44 than AK.