Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2003, 09:06 AM

Default I never check-raised...so what?

5/10 Foxwoods last night. Not a Kill hand.

Good game, really loose passive preflop, a few over-agressives postflop.

Everyone, their mother, grandfather, an uncle and aunt limp, the SB completes and I'm in the BB w/Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I check my option. 9 players to the flop of:

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, and I consider betting but I've been check-calling some of my draws of late and this table was really passive for one bet on the flop, many Any-ace chasers, runner-runner chasers, etc, so I check.

Checked to the button who bets, the SB calls and I call, 5 other players call, 8 to the turn:

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

And I check, checked to the button who bets, SB folds, I call, 3 other calls, 5 to the river.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

This is the best card I've ever seen in my life. I bet out, MP raises, the Button 3-bets and I cap, all call.

Beat me, praise me, Pats 14 Jets 12, anyone at Foxwoods this weekend? All comments are welcome, appreciated, will be rebutted, may be discussed, possibly flamed, most likely not, because I really don't give a fcuk what you'all think, well... I do... No, I don't. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Love, Peace, and Pats-D,
JT
Old 12-19-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Re: I never check-raised...so what?

Joe,

I like how you played this hand. You gave someone just enough rope to hang themself with.

Well played.

Old 12-19-2003, 09:10 AM

Joe,

It's tough to check raise the draw or the made hand when the bet comes directly from your left. Nice hand.

I'm trying to get to Foxwoods on Monday, actually. My friend and I are going to Buffalo to watch Drew Bledsoe suck against the Dolphins. We bought the tickets after week 1, when we thought the game would be important. It will still be fun to see the Dolphins self destruct again in December.

lil'
Old 12-19-2003, 09:11 AM

did you not cr the turn because you figured to get more in the pot by keeping the other 3 in for 1 bet? would none have called 2? i must be missing something.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you not cr the turn because you figured to get more in the pot by keeping the other 3 in for 1 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. With the bet on my immediate right and now 3 beautiful over cards out there, I knew any Ace would hold on to their hand any other player who had a piece would hold on until crazy action started, it was an easy call, why shut them out, here?

[ QUOTE ]
would none have called 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely not. I had the strong image and anyone with 2-pair or a straight draw would have layed down as my C/R would have screamed FLUSH!!!

Peace,
Joe Tall

Old 12-19-2003, 09:35 AM

Joe,

I think I would have bet out on the turn. From your description the table will most likely call and your flop action doesnt scream flush. I think if you bet most of them will call and then the button can help your cause by possibly raising leaving you again with the decision to raise or call.

No foxwoods for me, but for some strange reason my truck is trying to get me to go to AC. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think I will be able to hold it off but only because of the holiday. Damn you holiday [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 10:01 AM

Joe,

Well played on all streets. I do have a question - if a blank had fallen on the river (say a 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), does that change how you would have approached the river. Would you have gone for a check-raise then?

Thanks,
KUBowler
Old 12-19-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Good Move

The purpose of a Check raise is to get more money into the pot. If by <font color="red"> NOT </font> cr you can get 5 more people to contribute money to the pot, good job.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:08 AM

I'd bet the flop.

Agree with not check raising the turn and betting on the end is certainly better than a CR.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:10 AM

I think you played it right. You had second to the nuts on fourth street and had people betting for you. The queen falling handed out a couple straights on the river. You check raise the turn and maybe you lose one person and you never get heavy action on the end, everyone just calls with their straights. You did a good job slow playing this hand in my opinion, since there were very few hands that could beat you (AdXd, KK, JJ, TT, 44), except for the nut flush, these would all need help on the river and would have likely bet more aggressively after the flop with trips.