Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2003, 12:53 PM

Default 15-30 AQo hand: Did I dodge a bullet?

Online 15/30. SB is an unknown and is short-stacked. BB is a little loose and very passive. Button is a loose aggressive player.

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP

poster checks, I raise, Button 3-bets, SB calls, BB calls, poster folds, I call

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, I raise, Button 3-bets, SB calls, BB calls, I call

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets $5 all-in, BB calls, I call, Button calls

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around

How did I do?
Old 12-18-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Re: 15-30 AQo hand: Did I dodge a bullet?

It looks like the button has TT and the BB KQ. I would say the chance is pretty good that you have the best hand for the side pot. KQ will call if you bet. I just read BB is very passive. I guess he could have two pair.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:34 PM

With the button being described as 'loose-aggressive', his three-bet on the flop doesn't scare me (too much). I like the call of the three-bet on the flop, but I probably would have raised the all-in bet on the turn to (hopefully) drop the button.

My first thought on the 3-bet from the button would have been Q10 looking to get a free card. When the player went all-in, he probably resigned himself to call-down mode. 10J is also a possiblity with the same reasoning above. With the checking through on the river, 10J does seem reasonable.

As it was, with the button NOT raising the turn, I would have definately bet the river, expecting a call from Q10 or QK. It's possible you lost to the all-in player, but that happens.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:50 PM

If he can beat top pair top kicker, I think he is going to complete on the turn for sure.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:25 PM

If the button is aggressive and can beat tp/tk, I would expect him to raise the turn to charge the draws the maximum. I would also expect him to raise the turn with AQ,KQ, and Q10. When he only calls the turn, I'm inclined to believe hero is ahead and he should bet when a blank comes on the river.

Hero's action on the turn should also be based on how aggressive the button has been. Would he re-raise only with better than tp/tk or would he also do it with Q10 or 10J? If so, then only calling the all-in bet seems reasonable.

KUBowler
Old 12-18-2003, 03:53 PM

hi resident
you miss a raise on the turn. the reason you raise is two-fold. fisrtly, to win the pot; secondly, to make the draws pay the maximum to draw out on you. there are many other reasons as well, including being in the lead and having a made hand that isn't likely to improve.

there is a little ev on the river if the button will bluff-raise. of course, if he likes to bet when checked to, then your river check is o.k. usually though, you should bet in this spot. the reasn; the turn has missed everyone, as well as the river. if you check, and the button checks it down, you should win, therefore you should bet. but if the button likes to bet when checked to, or you strongly suspect that you're not in the lead by about 70% when called, then the check is o.k. i don't think that is the case here though. it looks like a good river bet.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the button is aggressive and can beat tp/tk, I would expect him to raise the turn to charge the draws the maximum. I would also expect him to raise the turn with AQ,KQ, and Q10. When he only calls the turn, I'm inclined to believe hero is ahead and he should bet when a blank comes on the river.

Hero's action on the turn should also be based on how aggressive the button has been. Would he re-raise only with better than tp/tk or would he also do it with Q10 or 10J? If so, then only calling the all-in bet seems reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would often raise with something like QT.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:04 PM

I just called on the turn hoping to get some information, and possibly because I was on a really bad run of cards for more than a day and every opposing raise gave me that "here we go again" feeling.

I was assuming he'd bet out on the river when checked to because of his personality. I don't think I took into account his call on the turn in making that decision.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Re: 15-30 AQo hand: Results

Board is J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB (all-in) has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB has T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

button has K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I thought I would get much more grief for not betting the turn and river.