Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 03:02 AM

Default Re: this thread is odd

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. However, on a flop of K94r there is less of a chance someone wants to play with you.

Fistdantilus
Old 12-08-2003, 03:03 AM

Ok, but in general, if I have to give up position, I don't like to give away the initiative. I probably wouldn't threebet KJo, but at the same time, it is also not that like I would be playing that in that position.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:07 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Though making fun, you've proved my point in another post.

[ QUOTE ]
so I can build monster pots by three betting when I do have a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have calculated beforehand that it takes only a few extra small bets to confuse people (tendencies, on-the-spot calculations of risk/reward), and get them to pay you off when you are a favorite (prepared math,hand reading). I just felt that JohnShafts' post, while arriving at the same conclusion you did, only did so because of machismo.

Fistdantilus
Old 12-08-2003, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just felt that JohnShafts' post, while arriving at the same conclusion you did, only did so because of machismo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Well. Erm. What can I say? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Maybe it's just me though but I'm just not satisfied with going Check, Check when I flop a Set. What action are you ever going to get when you do that?
When you've got a moderate hand you bet, you get raised and think "I'm probably beat here but might hang around".
When you've got a strong hand you bet, you get raised, you pop back at them.
Man if all you do is check when you get a good hand people can raise you all day long knowing you aren't coming back at them and don't have a strong hand.

Isn't that pretty much what Bob said?
If you don't put aggression in against people with mediocre AND strong holdings immediately then they know what you have?
I dunno. Maybe I need an interpretor.

Machismo though? Maybe it was everyone backing me, alone, into the corner. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2003, 04:25 AM

Default Re: TPTK against a turn checkraise

on an uncoordinated board like this i *might* call on the flop and raise the turn. not saying i would play it this way every time....but it is in no way out of the question. i would prefer to lead into him, get raised, smooth call and then check-raise the turn.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously the 7 helped him

[/ QUOTE ]

possibly, but not obviously. not everyone plays sets and/or top two pair the same way.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:38 AM

Default i will try to stay on topic.... ;)

arguments about how to play sets aside, i think you are probably toast here. however the pot is probably big enough to justify calling this one down. i wouldn't make this my default play when i get raised on the turn with only one pair....but you will be getting 11.5:1 on the end if i counted right...so i would take a peek and/or pray that you spike an ace for a better two pair on the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2003, 04:44 AM

call him down, u can hit 2 pair on river when borad pairs... or maybe he is semibluffing... you got odds to call
Old 12-08-2003, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on an uncoordinated board like this i *might* call on the flop and raise the turn. not saying i would play it this way every time....but it is in no way out of the question. i would prefer to lead into him, get raised, smooth call and then check-raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best play I've read for this situation, especially if you can guarantee the PFR is going to raise your bet on the flop. My second option would be to check raise the flop and lead the turn & river. I'd also occasionally change it up and lead the flop, turn, and river (as long as the PFR does not go 'raise-crazy' and represent pocket kings).

As good as this flop is for a set, I don't like the idea of the possibility of giving a free card to someone with a gutshot draw.

KUBowler
Old 12-08-2003, 02:34 PM

I don't claim to be much of a player, but I bet and raise with a flopped set also. My low/live and micro/online-limit opponents will check the flop with a set; so betting and raising makes great camouflage, and I don't risk giving the free card.