Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: AN EDUCATED REDNECKS POV

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that jokes about Southerners can be just as hurtful as those about minority ethnic groups. I'm not a Southerner so I wouldn't know, but I'll take your word for it.

If I operate under this assumption, I won't make a statement that is likely to piss off or hurt somebody from the South. It may be funny to me, but it won't be to him. Now, if I know a guy is fine with whatever, it's open season. Context is everything.

Whether or not I have the right to make such a statement is a separate issue. I'm inclined to agree with you that the less censorship, the better.

All I'm saying is this: (1) If you know doing something will probably offend somebody, why do it? The fact of the matter is that people often do stuff with the intention of hurting others, even though that's clearly not what happened here. (2) It's dangerous to presume to know what is or isn't offensive.

That's all.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:00 AM

I'm assuming you dont watch southpark.

Good thoughts, though.

Tex
Old 11-24-2005, 03:12 AM

You guys all need to just chill and watch Family Guy, the most PC show of all-time.