Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2003, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Raise TT on the river? #1

I called for the reasons anatta posted. But I think this response may well be the correct one. If the river helped his hand, it wouldn't be obvious - a straight (A5 or 56 are definite possibilities) or rivered two pair is disguised enough that even a dim opponent would probably go for a checkraise with. And yes, both of those hands would probably call.

A definite cutting edge response. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2003, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm horrible at 6-handed, but I would fold. SB bet into you and though you've read him as a dolt, the caller in between the two of you probably isn't - I would put him on 9's over 8's. I wouldn't be surprised if the dolt showed you A5 though if he's that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

As ThingDo said, a fold is out of the question here. A straight is a definite possibility for SB, but as MG posted, he's more likely to checkraise w/ something like that.

The bigger flaw in your response is what you put the guy in the middle on. 9s over 8s that doesn't checkraise the turn or raise the river? No way.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:12 AM

Default Results

I just called, but I think raising may well have been better. I'm 100% positive I beat the guy in the middle and SB is likely to checkraise w/ a straight. Only hand I think he beats me with that bets here is a rivered two pair. If he had something like 34, good for him. But I'm going to call a 3-bet from this clown, so maybe it isn't quite so clear.

Anyway, I called and my hand was good.

BB had exactly what I put him on - an eight. T8o.

SB had a surprising hand, even for him. 62o.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:14 AM

Easy, easy raise. Didn't you know you never lose a hand?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy, easy raise. Didn't you know you never lose a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot that somewhere in the middle of losing $2k in these games on Sunday evening. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Still a great week, but miss all your big draws and get hit with a few big river suckouts on multiple tables and it's very easy to post a big loss in these games...
Old 11-05-2003, 04:36 AM

You aren't kidding. Missing draws is a pretty crappy way to play poker. I recommend you go back to making your fair share. In fact, I recommend you make more than your fair share.

Next time you are on a draw, channel the old Ulysses that would post things like, "I bet my gutshot because I thought I was going to hit it on the turn."
Old 11-05-2003, 05:48 AM

Howdy,
I'm pretty raw, but there are alot of people saying raise raise raise. This seems like a play with negative EV. Your betting all along has screamed I have an overpair. Unless your likely to try to cram AK and AQ down the throat of a 5 player pot the same way you did your tens. So he should have some idea about what you have.

If you turn the hand around, I would always bet my made hand into someone playing fast so that I can make it 3 bets when he raises me. There's also the type of player that pushes to the river but never bets a mediocre hand like you might have. I want to make sure I get a bet out of that person as well. So, what hands does he bet into you?

So boil it down to EV. You have said you will call if he reraises, so you are risking 2 bets to win what? perhaps 2 bets and possibly less. So you have to have the better hand more than 50% of the time when you raise and are called or re-raised.

Now, turning it around again, if there had been a 2 flush or higher 2 straight that might have hit your hand (which pre-flop raised), I might bet the river into you with a single pair (to make sure I get a bet from the caller in the middle and perhaps your AKs if your the type that can't throw it away.) Here, you might have reason to believe he is betting a single pair into you and you might have enough value to raise, but none of this is going on in this hand.

Chucklehead

ps. Just looked at the results. He is a really bad player, but I still say you shouldn't raise. Too many hands he might be betting into you beat you.