Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2003, 07:09 AM

Default Re: I WANNA MAKE A PROFIT!!!!!!!!!

I played online freerolls for 6 months before I started playing for real money and it wasn't my money - it was money I had won playing freeroll tournaments on Dynamite and PokerStars, a little bit of cash in my accounts and in a few months I was able to start playing in tournaments with entry fees of $3.00 to $10.00 and now I'm playing with the big boys - and I've never made a deposit.
It seems to me that you are playing a tad tight.
Buy, beg, borrow or steal a copy of Lee Jones' "Winning Low Limit Hold'Em" and read it several times before you begin to study it - then study it while you play in freerolls until you are able to identify your mistakes as you make them - and as you make them again and again until you no longer make those mistakes. Learn how to play position, overcards, dominated hands, suited connectors, pot odds and all that very basic stuff and then, much later, move up to David Sklansky"s "Tournament Poker For Advanced Players" for what you can get from it - what you will get is what you can use in your level of play. By then you will know the three most important elements of poker:
1. Position
2. Position
3. Position
You seem to be concerned about going broke - playing in Hold'em ring games is a really fast way for a beginner to go broke.
Play in tournaments. Play freeroll tournaments until you understand the structure of tournaments and begin finishing "in the money" often enough to feel comfortable playing in tournaments - but DO NOT play like those freeroll players do (they are the fish of dreams) even if they beat you a lot. They won't beat you in real money tournaments - the only advantage they have in freerolls is that there is so damm many of them in the tourney, some of them have to get super lucky - play like Lee Jones says and bet'em when you got'em and fold'em when you don't. Forget bluffing in freerolls and low limit: you will get called 109% of the time.
Play in tournaments because you can control loss. A tournament might last several hours, and at PokerStars you can enter a $3.00 tournament with hundreds of dollars in prizes or a $20.00 (plus $1.00 or $2.00 admin fee) tournament with a first place finish of maybe thousands of dollars, and some money all the way down below 8th place. If you entered two PokerStars $3.00 tournaments in one day, you would play for hours and lose at the most $6.00, but if you placed first in one of them you would be at least probably $400 or more ahead for the day and you have an excellent chance of picking up $20 or more.
The best thing going on in freerolls right now is SkillPoker.com (no I don't work for them and no I don't care what the forum sourpusses have to say about anything, unless they have some facts). SkillPoker has 8-player freerolls during the day for play money, but in the evenings they have 16 and 32 player tournaments where the winner gets $50.00 and second place gets $50.00, payable when SkillPoker's Cashier is operational, pretty soon.
I've played 21 tournaments with them in the week past, placed first or second 3 times and won a special tourney for $100.00 and now I have $250 on deposit there, not such a bad week with no entry fees or expenses - other players have been there over a month and some have upwards of $2,000 on deposit.
There are some very good poker players in those tourneys but the better your opponents, the more you learn playing against them, and it is freeroll, for now at least.
If you have any questions, I don't chat much during the tournament but you can email me at knowmags@yahoo.com.
Good Luck!
Unless you're seated at my table.

Old 10-26-2003, 05:59 PM

Possibly the worst mistake a beginning tournament player can make is to adopt a playing strategy based on the outcomes of hands played.
It's like saying that all Indians walk in single file, at least the only one I ever saw did.
It's like flipping a coin with heads landing 48 times in a row and saying from now on you're calling "heads" on every flip you ever again make.
Suited connectors down to 5,6 are pre-flop powerful on the BB with no raise in front and Sklansky's "System" calls for your All-In there, otherwise check/fold against a raise in front.
Personally, I don't All-In often enough and that is a weakness in my game - those dern rag chasers do get lucky on the flop with their J,4 offs, leaving me wishing I had blown them out.
There is no difference between 7,8s and 5,6s: that is, what I mean is, the % difference is so small it won't make any difference in actual play - if your 6 high flush is a loser then I'll go All-In every time that your 8 high flush is also a loser, and both lose if four cards of your suit show on board at the River.
In high buy-in tournaments you won't want to see many flops, but in freerolls and low buy-ins your best decisions will be made on the flop - and against limps amd small bets, go for those gut shots and runner/runner "raise and pray" situations WHEN the pot odds are good.
Raise on the flop for a free card on the Turn.
If you have something like A,9o and the flop comes something like K,K,K bet 5 times the pot and you might get called, but not likely by a K or A in the hole (then you might get raised) and you have ruined the pot odds for potential callers. That play almost always wins.
Basically, I call everything in EP with any of the Top 16 hands, call every thing in MP except huge raises with any of the Top 24 hands and call in LP with no raise in front with any of the Top 42, otherwise fold.
A lot does depend on the seeming flow of the game your are in (a flow that can change quickly in an online tourney) but I don't see how you can play more tightly than the above with hope of seeing some money.
And when you reach that final table, that AJo is a powerball in your pocket; and with three players remaining JTs is a mandatory All-In - and you All-In with K,K even if you have lost with it the last 755,587 times you've played it.
None of that is written in stone and no laws apply (there being no such thing as the 'law of averages') but the general idea is LOOSEN UP!!!!!! AKo is worth a few BB bets, AQo stinks in EP but is worth a call in LP with no raise in front (also good for a call in MP with no raise in front if you have a good size stack) and if you are chip leader or need to wim more chips fast, unsuited connectors down to 5,6 might be worth a small bet and if you get a good piece of the flop, play it out and BET THE RIVER!!!!! if you badly need more chips.
There are no "good" pockets and no "bad" pockets.
Forget about hands you have lost in the past.
Two cards are good or bad for you depending on things like your position, your stack size, your table ranking (bet hard against a player ranking ahead of you and bet softly against a player ranking behind you: why let him catch up to you? just fold.) And there are times when the best thing to do is go on Post/Fold.
You are trying to play a simple game and the game is not simple, it is complicated but understandable, if never to be mastered.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:41 AM

Listen to Dynasty. He's right.