Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2005, 12:06 PM

Default My thinking, right or wrong,

Preflop - [ QUOTE ]
Now as for BobT's original decision preflop, I'm sure he was of the mind that "hey I have a nice hand, I should raise here, however UTG's range of hands really isn't something I like, MP isn't leaving, I'm not really comfortable with that raise now, but I darn sure can't fold. OK I'll compromise and call." That compromise play seems to almost always be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop. I was concerned that the tight passive players bet meant that I was behind, and even if I was ahead, I wasn't going to get the most equity by raising here, because noone was going to leave, except maybe the BB, who as a fairly tight player, would probably fold most hands for one bet that he would fold for two. I didn't think that I could increase my equity by raisng on the flop by as much as I could be raising the turn.

On the turn, things went wrong. My plan was to raise the likely bet by UTG and call by MP, but MP raised. Even though MP is a fairly loose player, he was rational, and he probably realized that UTG's bet on the flop and turn meant something, and MP's raise here in a three way pot, means that he can beat top pair. I'm only just better than top pair, and this seems like a good time to throw my overpair away, but I didn't. I followed through with my plan, and threebet the apparently safe card. (Well it was safe, it didn't improve either of the hands that were already ahead of me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

I think that MP really should have capped this turn, but he didn't.

The river plays itself, I think its interesting that MP bet out on the river after he called on the turn.

One side note, is that both of my opponents impressed me afterward, because they didn't comment on my play on this hand.

I think that if I raised either preflop, or on the flop, I probably could have gotten away from the hand correctly based on the likely turn action.