Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: *****Official Astros-White Sox World Series Thread*****

**K's Deal protests the 2005 World Series**

I really think that ump needs to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that it hits Dye there. Otherwise, assume it hit his bat. That is just too important a situation to assume it hit the batter.

Effed up, man. So effed up. These umps don't seem to be doing too well this post-season.

I'm not saying it wasn't a tough call, because it was, and Jermaine Lie sold it very well. But the truth is, that ump needs to call that a foulball unless it UNQUESTIONABLY hit him.

That is all.

Now after sweeping them in Houston, we'll still need to win one of our last two games. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a tough call. Until they came in with the blowup super slo mo it even the replay was totally inconclusive. In real time who the hell knows!

[/ QUOTE ]

In real time, I think it was very obvious. Watching that in real time at home, here is how I reacted:

F US, WHAT A HORRIBLE PITCH HE JUST WALKED HIM

WHOA, HOLY COW WE GOT SO LUCKY, IT CAUGHT HIS BAT

WTF, HIT HIM? NO F'IN WAY!!!!!

It seemed very obvious to me as soon as that ball came off that it hit his bat. Was this really not obvious to you guys?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright Astros fans bring on the complaints..

[/ QUOTE ]

No complaints. Astro fans have made it clear that real teams overcome bad calls and they are irrelevant to a series' outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ridiculous, Clark. Obviously, the bigger the margin of victory in a game, the less likely a bad call is to impact the outcome. Nonetheless, every Astros fan here acknowledged that there would have been a big difference between bases loaded no outs and 1st and 3rd w/ 1 out in the Cardinals. If you think bad calls are why the Cardinals lost, though, you are sorely mistaken. They were one strike away from losing in 5 games, Clark. That was not due to bad calls.

Here, we are one strike away from leaving the inning up 4-2. Instead, a bad call loads the bases and brings up one of their best offensive weapons. Huge, potentially series-changing, bad call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, real teams overcome bad calls, right? Shall I go fishing to dredge up all the quotes to that effect? You are forgetting also about the brutal strike two call on a ball that nearly hit Edmonds' face with Pujols coming up in Game 4. That was virtually identical to this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, bad calls are part of the game. But there are orders of magnitude of difference regarding how much impact one of those individual calls can have in a series.

[/ QUOTE ]

This mistake was virtually identical to the Game 4 8th inning call in terms of impact, and arguably less bad than the Game 6 bases loaded call. And similar to those calls, the team getting hosed didn't execute well enough to overcome it.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 PM

The most upsetting thing is that there is no NFL Sunday night game to watch, this series is already over.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is true. I also love how everything is "clearly" one way or the other for us here with replay and frame by frame views. Interesting how your view of "clearly" changes by which team you root for. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about?

Where did any Astros fan dispute that the Cards guy was safe on second on the phantom tag?

The out at first was clearly an out. The ball clearly hit his bat. These have nothing to do with rooting for a team. Some of us are capable of objectively evaluating what happens regardless of who we support.

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't seem that way. I however, wasn't implicating you personally. I was just making a general statement, that you obviously don't agree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. Please provide any examples to support your general statement.

GoT, myself, and others were in complete agreement w/ Clark regarding bad calls against the Cardinals in that series that were clearly bad calls, as well as the bad strike calls, and ridiculous ejection. In this game, the two plays (guy being out at first, ball hitting bat) were also clear. One they got right, one they got wrong.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kill yourself. seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFYP, retard.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:10 PM

Default When was the last time...

When was the last time a team benefited from so many [censored] calls? I feel like I'm watching Duke basketball.

Certainly they've taken advantage of pretty much every one. But there's no way anyone can deny how good they're running.

It's hard to beat a team that's playing AND running good.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying it wasn't a tough call, because it was, and Jermaine Lie sold it very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even think he sold it much. I think he was actually pretty surprised to be given the base. Most guys, after getting hit, react with an "OH F" and jump. Dye reacted exactly how I'd expect him to react after getting unlucky and accidentally fouling off a ball four. Then he realized the ump was unsure and started to make a move towards first.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

GoT, myself, and others were in complete agreement w/ Clark regarding bad calls against the Cardinals in that series that were clearly bad calls, as well as the bad strike calls, and ridiculous ejection.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is that when they favor Houston, the calls are somehow irrelevant to the outcome (despite the fact that if both are called correctly, its possible the Astros lose 4-2 instead of St. Louis), but when the call favors the White Sox, the game is "stolen" from Houston.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was a tough call. Until they came in with the blowup super slo mo it even the replay was totally inconclusive. In real time who the hell knows!

[/ QUOTE ]

In real time, I think it was very obvious. Watching that in real time at home, here is how I reacted:

F US, WHAT A HORRIBLE PITCH HE JUST WALKED HIM

WHOA, HOLY COW WE GOT SO LUCKY, IT CAUGHT HIS BAT

WTF, HIT HIM? NO F'IN WAY!!!!!

It seemed very obvious to me as soon as that ball came off that it hit his bat. Was this really not obvious to you guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually immediately thought he was beaned and thought it nailed him right in the hand (which worried me).