Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Re: OT: Unsatisfied with goals acheived

[ QUOTE ]
almost anyone who is lazy enough in life to want to make a living from poker is lazy enough not to do it properly.

[/ QUOTE ]
as if the world was full of other great opportunities...

Good thread otherwise, good luck feeling better. Maybe if you made a blog (yet another one, I know) it would make playing poker more "legit" in the eyes of your dad and others that you seek approval from?

By the way, your dad's response is not so bad. When I told my dad I was playing he immediately began himself. After work every day, he usually plays several hours but when I try to explain Icm, FE or other things to help him win, he doesn't listen...
Old 10-18-2005, 01:13 PM

Satisfaction from meeting your goals comes from the feeling of control over one's enviroment that meeting a goal implies existed. Setting goals about playing a certain amount or winning a certain amount is just tying your feelings of personal satisfaction to events outside of your control. You're too smart to fool yourself into thinking you have any control over what makes $x over less than 2k STT's, and thus you get less personal satisfaction out if it than people who don't understand how the statistical machinary works. In a way, you've killed the goose that laid the golden egg. If you feel you have to set goals, set them where reaching them necessarily means you've accomplished something, and not just had something happen to you.

I'm getting lori's quote tattooed on my ass. Then I'm going to moon anyone who tells me he/she wants to become a professional poker player.

SlimP
Old 10-18-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
almost anyone who is lazy enough in life to want to make a living from poker is lazy enough not to do it properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew someone has been watching me...
Old 10-18-2005, 02:18 PM

What is lori's quote?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of other people in this thread and who PM'ed me that I should thank for some good responses.

In particular, I am actually surprised and comforted that so many people let me know that they understood how I feel. I don't seem to be alone in feeling a bit dissatisfied with my (good!) results, and from the looks of things, it's fairly common.

As Irie said, it is hard to look at online poker and really feel like we are getting the most from it, because there is SOOOO much money out there and it's probably never going to be this easy again. As Irie also implied though, that doesn't automatically mean playing 12+ hrs a day is the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same. I feel like an idiot for not making much more, so now I'm trying to improve. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lately I've been lurking at the mid/high stakes NL forum, and you see guys winning 25K in one hand there. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 PM

you need to spend some time making different types of goals. i think the most important one is, especially if you're finding it hard to stay motivated AND in order to not get burned out by getting too motivated and living unhealthily by playing too much, to set an amount of SNGs/ring hands per year. really think about how many you are able to do, something like how many days a week and how many hours you expect to play (and revise this if you realize you were initially off). you could estimate your yearly profit playing this amount of poker, but setting a profit goal doesn't seem useful as profit will come with # played and increased performance automatically. this helps keep you on track but may not be fulfilling to you.

in order to make yourself feel good as well, you should set less explicit goals (kind of more guidelines than goals) as some suggested above, like "paste questionable hands into text document and review them for 30 minutes after each session" or "study PL omaha, read XX book, and improve" or "try to play as many sats as possible to get to a wpt event." you could possibly set ROI or BB/100 goals here too.