Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: (11) Raise 5xbb with 1010/JJ from EP according to HOH?

I hope you mean it's a limp, then fold to a raise AND a re-raise hand. If you limp for 15, and then fold if some donk makes it 45 or 50, then this is far too weak tight in my opinion...But, if it goes limp, raise to 50, reraise to 150, then easy fold. You are either dominated or possibly up against a combination of all the overcards. You wouldn't advocate limp folding to a single raise, would you? If so, then why?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 PM

I like to bet more with AA and KK at the 11s than I do with mid pockets. Do you see why?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to bet more with AA and KK at the 11s than I do with mid pockets. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Do you see why?" is one of the worst responses I routinely see on 2+2. People should be flogged for doing it. Do you see why?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From early position in an $11 Sng, how do you play pockets tens and jacks? Harrington advocates raising 5x bb (more than you would with AA-QQ). I suppose this 5xbb would translate into more like 7xbb since the people on party 11s are so loose. Is this a good strategy? Or better to limp with these pp? Also, does is it different for level 1 and level 3?

-grant

[/ QUOTE ]

the key thing in this question lies within. are you able to lay down jj to an overcard? or are you fascinated by the two pretty paird cards in front of you? if the first is true, id raise it. if the second is true, play for set value.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:55 PM

OK, I'll bite...

[ QUOTE ]

Game theoretic optimal poker should not be your goal. You should actively try to exploit your opponents' weaknesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Game theory takes into account your opponent's weaknesses.

[ QUOTE ]

This necessarily means exposing a weakness in your own game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

You can't exploit someone else's suboptimal play without playing suboptimally yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. You really should learn at least a little bit about game theory.

[ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't consider it a leak to do this. A leak is a mistake you regularly make that costs you money. If "No one takes notes like raised to 65 meant AK raised to 70 means QQ" then it isn't costing you money to raise different amounts

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read my post? Your assumption that *nobody* at the tens *ever* pays attention has to be *100% correct* for this not to cost you money.

[ QUOTE ]

and in fact if you correctly exploit the fact that no one takes such notes then it will make you money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody in this thread has yet demonstrated the wonderful money-making potential of the OPs suggested strategy.

[ QUOTE ]

If the cash is flowing IN instead of OUT, that certainly can't count as a leak, 'cause nothing is leaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong again. At least you are consistent.

If your results are worse than they should be, it's a leak, regardless of whether you are ahead or behind at any particular moment.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 PM

I like how you misunderstood a lot of what he was trying to say and then responded in a totally retarded and unnecessary confrontational tone.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1010/JJ in early stages of 11s is a limp/fold to reraise hand. Im not open raising this hand because of too many players calling with K4o etc. Too many chances an overcard is going to hit someone and then my pair is dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope you see why you want a call from K4o here.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you misunderstood a lot of what he was trying to say and then responded in a totally retarded and unnecessary confrontational tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for such an insightful contribution to the topic at hand.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Game theoretic optimal poker should not be your goal. You should actively try to exploit your opponents' weaknesses.

Game theory takes into account your opponent's weaknesses.

Quote:

This necessarily means exposing a weakness in your own game.

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not claiming to be expert on geme theory, but i suspect you've got wrong definiton for what 'game theoretic optimal strategy' stands for.

This can be useful for example
Game-Theoretic Optimal Strategies

[ QUOTE ]
Did you read my post? Your assumption that *nobody* at the tens *ever* pays attention has to be *100% correct* for this not to cost you money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously this statement is wrong. For this not to cost you money profitablity of such move against opps not paying attention just had to outweight loses from players who can exploit it.
On different note statement 'nobody at $11 level know how to play' doesn't have to be 100% correct for $11 SNG to be profitable.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously this statement is wrong. For this not to cost you money profitablity of such move against opps not paying attention just had to outweight loses from players who can exploit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... if somebody actually demonstrates that this strategy can be profitable in some way against opponents not paying attention, which I haven't seen yet.