Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: can negreanu really beat live nl cash games w/ his eyes closed?

It seems like from time to time Negreanu will talk about sitting down at a game like this and playing some hands blind, etc. I'm pretty sure he's said similar things before.

I personally think this scenario has as much to do with a probable huge disparity in the relative worth of the money being played for, between Negreanu and most everyone else at the table, than it indicates that Negreanu is "just that good" that he can beat the game playing blind. That's not to suggest that he isn't a great player - just that it's a little easier to throw thousands of dollars around while playing your cards blind when you're a multi multi millionaire.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i saw that. i think that might be worse than playing without knowing your cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong, it's not worse.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:16 PM

Negreanu is blowing smoke here. There is no way for him to prove his claim. There is also no way to disprove his claim. But there is no requirement to disprove his claim. He opened his mouth and as far as I am concerned put his foot in it. He is really sounding like a small minded braggard with this claim. He is basically saying that the players in the 5-10 HLH game are big dopes and/or that he is so skillful that there is noone in that game that has a chance of taking his money. He rally sounds like a silly little boy with this claim.

Vince
Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 PM

Earlier this year DN did a similar thing (messing around in a 10/20 game) and on one hand he openly announced that he was playing the hand blind. By the turn he was convinced that his sole opponent in the hand held an unimproved AK, and he announced that if no A or K came on the river he was moving in the rest of his stack. The river blanked, he moved in, and his opponent mucked AK.

One hand may not be much to draw conclusions from, but it's still pretty impressive.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:46 PM

Think about how many pots you play that don't go to showdown.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:48 PM

I think the important question that everyone should be asking themselves here is: Who cares?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:55 PM

For whatever moderator moved the thread - do you think more people are interested in discussing Negreanu playing no limit in the small stakes pot limit/no limit forum, or in the WPT forum? People read the WPT forum to discuss poker personalities. Some of you guys seriously need to find something to do with yourselves besides power tripping on the forums.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier this year DN did a similar thing (messing around in a 10/20 game) and on one hand he openly announced that he was playing the hand blind. By the turn he was convinced that his sole opponent in the hand held an unimproved AK, and he announced that if no A or K came on the river he was moving in the rest of his stack. The river blanked, he moved in, and his opponent mucked AK.

One hand may not be much to draw conclusions from, but it's still pretty impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually at the table playing with him when this hand occurred. I searched through the archives and found the summary I made of the session for anyone who wants to read other hands.

By the way, he wrote on his blog that he could beat the 10-20 game at the Bellagio after this session. I think that's what OP was referring to.

I am pretty sure he could after playing with him. He wasn't even sober or playing for real in my account.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he was referencing the 5/10 NL game at Wynn, and DN sat down with $125,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think DN is a good player, and I like him, but this is a dick move. It's like the donkeys sitting down with 12000 at a 2/4 party table. OOO, you are so cool. What a tool thing to do.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:45 AM

I hate to be a nit, but shouldn't this go in the WPT forum? I don't particularly care if DN can beat a 5/10$ game with his eyes closed.