Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: An AK fold PF @ lvl2

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't wanna risk my tourney life

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot "AK is a drawing hand"

[ QUOTE ]
You have to push this. You are 40% even against [AA, KK, AK]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you look at Pokerstove results, keep this in mind: when you tie, you only get half the chips in the pot back.

For the record, sometimes I push and sometimes I fold, depending on what I've seen of my opponent.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:32 PM

when you guys do these calculations, you always ignore the fact that a winning player will outplay his opponents later on in the tournament. thus you should be risk averse in early blind levels. why do you need to get involved in this pot?
Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM

I fold here. You only have 100 invested and I hate taking very possible coin flips early on especially if only top 2 move on. I think the fold is fine and leave room to outplay your opponents on the bubble which they should be fairly tight [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you guys do these calculations, you always ignore the fact that a winning player will outplay his opponents later on in the tournament. thus you should be risk averse in early blind levels. why do you need to get involved in this pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because one of the prerequisites for being 'good' at higher buyin STT poker is to not be risk averse in the early blind levels.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have to push this. You are 40% even against [AA, KK, AK]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you look at Pokerstove results, keep this in mind: when you tie, you only get half the chips in the pot back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't use Pokerstove, and I accounted for the split.

Three-fifths (60%) of the time, it's another AK, and you get half of that, for 30%.

One-fifth of the time, it's AA, you are 7%, so add 1%.

One-fifth of the time, it's KK, you are 30%, add 6%.

Total 37%. Add 3% or so for suited suck-outs. Total 40%.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

For the record, sometimes I push and sometimes I fold, depending on what I've seen of my opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better have a read that he's super-tight if you are folding.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:19 PM

Yeah, you're right. It's not 40% but relatively close. However, vs. that range, you still lose chips, and against many people the range is really AA-QQ because AK just calls or pushes.

Having said that, I should also say my default play against an unknown is to push.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:29 PM

Would you play this any different if it were an 11 dollar sng on PP? Seems to me that the donks in the 11s could make this type of move with AQ or AJ very easily. Is it an auto push in the 11s and 22s?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
11 dollar

[/ QUOTE ]

push
Old 10-11-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a mini-step 3. Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coach Z says, "Good jorb."
Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 AM

How many overvalue AK? Most. You don't. Good job.

You guys who push this hand automatically, I just don't understand. While you may be mathmatically justified, you should consider that your chances increase as the tourney goes on, as weaker players drop out to slightly-less weak players, assuming you are a good player.

Your aggression may be impressive, but may not be smart. One of the reasons so many weak players push so often is they are not capable of playing post-flop. Pushing takes all the decision making out of the hand. How do you know how good you are if you never/rarely play out a hand? How do you improve if you never make mistakes which you can study? Instead, you justify your aggression with math which only takes into account that isolated situation in a vacuum, when there are many more considerations to consider.

Aw, hell, I know I'm not getting my point across.

OP made a very good fold. He's the one at the table I'd most expect to make my life very difficult when we're down to 5, then 4 then 2. He's the one at the table that I would expect to see most often very late in most SNGs. He's the one I would have to keep a close eye on, rather than one I can dismiss, the only one who worries me. He's a poker player.

CJ