Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Schooling

[ QUOTE ]

What whining? Yeah, I know a suckout when I see one, thank you very much. 70%+ ITM in SNGs with 150%+ ROI, it's just the low limit ring games that are giving me trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of comments:
1. Nobody in the world can sustain 70% ITM, 150% ROI long-term in even the softest SNGs. You need to play a lot more before you think about moving up.

2. You obviously haven't played enough to have a sense of just how much variability there is in poker. I agree with other posters on the point that anyone who can't beat or gets frustrated with "schooling" in small stakes limit games shouldn't be moving up yet. I'm not saying this to be an ass, it's actually friendly advice.

3. As Tim said, "Other Poker" on 2+2 is mainly the place where variants of poker that don't have their own forum are discussed. Triple draw is the most popular game currently discussed here (since Omaha/8 got its own forum). There is also discussion on draw high (my personal favorite), single draw lowball, pineapple, and occasional other esoteric games like Tahoe or Courchevel. Crap like baseball or pass the trash belongs in "Home Poker".

As you see, the "Other Poker" crowd is pretty receptive to these questions. The original post probably belonged in either "General Texas Holdem" or "Poker Theory", but I think they would have been harsher.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The original post probably belonged in either "General Texas Holdem" or "Poker Theory", but I think they would have been harsher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, way, way harsher. This post, after all, is "YSSCKY" free.

I do wonder where the [censored] all these respondents came from, though.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Nobody in the world can sustain 70% ITM, 150% ROI long-term in even the softest SNGs. You need to play a lot more before you think about moving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I admit it's been a good run, but it's not just over a handful of games and my results over the long term results have been quite positive.. I know it's not indefinitely sustainable though, which is why I'm branching out into other games.

[ QUOTE ]
2. You obviously haven't played enough to have a sense of just how much variability there is in poker. I agree with other posters on the point that anyone who can't beat or gets frustrated with "schooling" in small stakes limit games shouldn't be moving up yet. I'm not saying this to be an ass, it's actually friendly advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the courtesy, I find it much easier to find real value in advice when it's got a little more content "you suck, deal with it". I thought my skill would translate better across games, thus my desire to move up, even though there are different strategies involved. I know I've got other areas to work on, I'm certainly not as experienced in the rings as I am with SNGs and MTTs, so if you all think this is just an unlucky streak (probably karma catching up with my SNG streak, heh) and it's better to work out the rest of my issues before moving up I'll give it some more time.

[ QUOTE ]
3. As Tim said, "Other Poker" on 2+2 is mainly the place where variants of poker that don't have their own forum are discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was asking about different variations than I was used to, lol.. but speaking of some of the more obscure games, what are a couple online sites where I can explore those also?

<font color="teal">~TG</font> [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]