Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Grilling Salmon

[ QUOTE ]
Something Ive come up with, tin foil packet, leave the top open, salt, sugar, slice of orange with a little of the leftover orange juice, and honey drizzled over everything. Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you have just about got it.

we use tinfoil, lemon juice, salt (dash of brown sugar) and....

in my teens i was a fishing guide up on the norther coast of BC and spent most of my youth salmon and trout fishing the northern coast.

however you missed the key ingredient, which is real maple syrup (not aunt jamina but the actual stuff) instead of honey....you don't need a whole lot if the salmon is fresh.

actually, i just smoked up approximately 30 pounds of salmon caught on my dad's boat. we covered in in a salt brine mixture for 48 hours before-hand to draw out the water. then smoked it for approx an hour with some special wood mixtures. wow is this [censored] tender.

cheers,
the Real Macoy

ps. also, i would definately recommend keeping the skin on whenever possible when cooking salmon. it keeps it moist and improves the flavour. whereas, white meat fish, such as cod fare quit well as true filets.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:53 AM

If you want to go simple but fancy, this has been a family favorite since it appeared in Food & Wine 5 years ago. My kids love it and everyone has always been impressed. I get more requests for this recipe than any other thing I make.

Hint: The quality of this dish is very dependent on the mustard you use. I use Maille Dijon. Never, ever, use yellow mustard. And use real mayo, not salad dressing. There is a world of difference.

Grilled Salmon with Dilled Mustard Glaze
SERVES: 4

The sugar and dill in the glaze are used by Scandinavian-Americans in Minnesota to cure gravlax, but the combination works just as well on the grill.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill (or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed)
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (but feel free to use RealLime)
1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar (light brown sugar works too)
Freshly ground pepper (or whatever is in the pepper shaker)
Vegetable oil, for the grill
One 2-pound salmon fillet, skin on (you can vary the size, just don't use all the glaze if you go smaller)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt

Directions

Light a grill. Lightly brush the grate with oil. Run your fingers over the salmon fillet, feeling for bones; use sturdy tweezers to remove any you find.

In a dry skillet, toast the mustard seeds over moderate heat until they darken and begin to pop, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

In a bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, dill, lime juice and brown sugar. Season with pepper.

Brush the skin side of the salmon with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Set the fillet on the grill, skin side down, and spread the mustard glaze over the fish. Sprinkle with the toasted mustard seeds. Close the grill and cook over moderate heat until the glaze is golden and the fish is nearly opaque, about 25 minutes. If the skin begins to char, reduce the heat to low and move the fish to a cooler part of the grill. (Note: I generally close the grill and don't peak for 25 minutes. A little charing is not bad, but until you understand your grill, mine's a Weber Kettle, you might check once or twice.)

Transfer the salmon to a platter and serve hot or at room temperature.

The lightly caramelized sweet mustard glaze and rich, smoky flavors here will find echoes in an oak-aged Chardonnay.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:29 PM

pour a nice layer of sesame oil on the bottom of a glass baking dish, put your fish on it skin side down (if it has skin).

On top of the fish, put some dragon sauce and some light mixed spices (easy on the spices, the dragon sauce is mostly enough)

Cover with slivered almonds.

Put about six to ten pads of butter on top of that.

Bake at moderate temperature until done.

fantabulous.

al

Oops, I didn't say anything inflammatory, nor did I need any [censored] in my post. I hope I don't get banned! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2005, 12:41 PM

Microwave it.

Spread butter on it. Then put some salt and garlic powder and a little black pepper. Then microwave it on high for 4 to 7 minutes. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2005, 02:23 PM

Anyone who cooks in a microwave should be shot.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 AM

This is such a good recipe, I just grilled salmon Friday night.

1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp sugar

mix all together in a small bowl ( you may double recipe if you are cooking a lot, but this will cover up to 4 pieces )

lay salmon on baking sheet or other flat platter. spread ingdients on salmon covering the whole top ( pink ) side. then drizzle olive oil over the top. probably 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp per slice.

make sure you spray the gril with non stick cooking spray,
start with skin side down for about, well however long you usually grill it, everyone is differnt.

for best results, i would recommed leaving the skin on while grilling.

it is very good. if you like spinach, you can serve it over steamed spinach and that tastes great.

good luck! sjt
Old 10-09-2005, 12:42 PM

baste in a mixture of olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. If it's good salmon then the taste of the fish will compiment the subtle marinate.

I sound like I'm on iron chef.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Williams Sonoma Grilling Rubs

The rub for seafood is excellent!