Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: What to do in life?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Hello all. I am 34 years old (single with no children) and for the last year I have been permanently disabled (on SSDI and long term disability). I have a degenerative neuromuscular disorder that has caused me to lose most of the strength and sensitivity in my arms, legs, hand and feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello rooster, nice to meet you.

I have a couple of questions for you please:

What is your neuromusclar disease called, and when did you know you had it? (from birth or did you feel something was wrong anmd the doc did tests?)

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response. The answer to you question is a long one. I put together a small website that explains what you are asking. It can be found here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Rooster, sorry to hear about this condition you have, I hope everything goes well mate.

-SDM
Old 10-07-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: What to do in life?

Hi Rooster71,

Sorry for taking a little while to respond.

Starting with the supplements first. I would look at anything that promotes brain and CNS health. CoQ10 and Alpha Lipoic acid are perfect examples of what I was thinking of. I'll go ahead and mention that Vitamins B and E promote brain health as well. It appears that you're pretty familiar here so I'll leave alone especially as I am very much a layman sniffing about.

Feldenkrais and Alexander are methods of teaching movement. Most of us are pretty desensitized to portions of our body. We tense sets of muscles habitually and holding this tension limits our ability to receive sensory feedback from those areas. Habitually tensed muscles expend a lot of energy with no purpose. Energy is not only wasted in the tensing of the muscles but also in the movement not being as graceful and efficient as it could be otherwise. An example of this: think of someone with poor posture at their desk turning to the side to answer the phone or to speak to someone in the office, the torso would not rotate as freely with all the excess tension in the upper back and shoulders. Alexander and Feldenkrais are both studied by actors to gain better control of their bodies. Feldenkrais also has a history of working with those suffering from CNS disorders and people recovering from strokes. Here is a short article relating some gains that someone who shares your disorder was able to make from some Feldenkrais lessons.

A search for Feldenkrais on the web will pull up some articles. The developer's name is Moshe Feldenkrais. Some of your larger bookstores will carry his books in the Alternative Health or Bodywork section. Another book that some bookstores carry is Relaxercise. 10 minutes spent flipping through Relaxercise will give you a better idea of what it is all about than just about anything else.

best wishes,

raisins