Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 12:11 AM

Default Value Bet on the river (?)

20-40 at Hawaiian Gardens.

I am one in front of the cutoff with AdTd. One early position limper and the guy two to my right.

I raise, get called by the big blind and both limpers.

Flop 5s3dTs.

Checked to me, I bet, big blind raises--two cold calls.

I three bet and everyone calls.

Turn is the 7h checked to me, I bet, everyone calls.

River is the Jc checked to me. Should I bet the river?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Value Bet on the river (?)

Chris:
I think you can bet safely here -- unless you're playing against a super tricky player. Big blind's flop 3-bet followed by his passivity afterwards, pretty well indicates that he has a Ten with kicker problems. I'd guess T-9 or T-8, maybe suited, maybe not. The other players have some kind of draw. Yes, there are some possible straight draws that got there, but the betting on the flop ought to be pretty hard on low straight draws. More imp0ortant, though, is that it's extremely hard for most players to go for a check-raise on the river (or do your opponents think you're such a wild and aggressive player that you could never check down the river?)

Knowledge of the playing styles of the active players would be helpful, as it always is, and could have a major impact on deciding what's the right play. On balance, though, I'd think you could profitably bet the river for value.

How'd you do?

Gino
Old 10-02-2003, 10:40 AM

With no nowledge of the players. But being they called it this far, ive no reason they will not continue. Check it. Theres to many players still in the hand to value bet a lone pair of tens, with a rivered overcard. With 3 players in and this flop, I think someones playing suited overcards.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:21 PM

wow, 2 cold calls on that flop after you showed preflop strengh, either ones got Axs and the others got something like KJs or Kqs I'd love to be in your game. I wouldn't value bet there. I just don't feel you have the best.