Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Turn play - too weak?

my main question about this hand is whether or not to 3-bet the turn and call down vs a cap. I was fearing the flush, a hand like AcJc is certainly possible, as is a higher set(although unlikely as no cap preflop)

no read on UTG+2 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Old 10-06-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Turn play - too weak?

Bungy i'm 3-betting the turn and calling down if capped.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 AM

I'm totally lost in this hand if it's me, so I probably wouldn't 3 bet the turn.

I hate putting somebody on exactly two cards, but virtually any other hand is being misplayed as villian needs to protect his hand on the flop. I'm somewhat afraid of a set of k's or q's but considering a[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]a as a possibility. Interested to see the results.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm somewhat afraid of a set of k's or q's but considering a[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]a as a possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt put him on KK or QQ because he didnt cap preflop, even with the BB calling along. I find that if a player is going to be tricky and not cap with those hands it is usually in a heads up situation. Atleast thats how I do it - egoistic fallacy maybe?

Didnt consider the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] but that is certainly a possibility.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 AM

I 3-bet this turn.
He could obviously have specifically AJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or AT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , having slowplayed the flop. (All other two club hands are unlikely since he rasied preflop.

There are however loads of other hands that he might play like this, waiting for a safe non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to raise. I think you will see hands like AK , KQ more often than hands that beat you.

If he caps the turn, call and pray for your outs to a boat :-).

(There is also a slim chance he has QQ or KK, if he is very passive. If so, you have flush outs).
Old 10-06-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was fearing the flush, a hand like AcJc is certainly possible, as is a higher set(although unlikely as no cap preflop)

[/ QUOTE ]

These hands are possible but not as probable as other villan holdings that you beat A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img][K|Q], KQ, etc. Do not fear set over set--sure it happens--but you'll lose way more money by not raising when you have a set than you will when you are in a set-over-set situation.

I'd 3b the turn and call down a cap, although I suppose you could also call the turn and raise any non-club river.

btw, with no real read on UTG+2 you iso-3b him w/8's?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:50 AM

Iso-raising PPs is one of Feeney's "bad plays made by good players" in his book Inside the Poker Mind. I sometimes find myself making this play without sufficient knowledge of the raiser. Its pretty expensive.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:51 AM

that isnt a play I usually make but I figure him for overcards - sure he could have a higher pair, but 88 isnt a hand I want to play multiway so I 3bet.
Recently I have been working on NOT cold calling so its really 3-bet or fold with a hand like that.
would you play it differently preflop?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm totally lost in this hand if it's me, so I probably wouldn't 3 bet the turn.

I hate putting somebody on exactly two cards, but virtually any other hand is being misplayed as villian needs to protect his hand on the flop. I'm somewhat afraid of a set of k's or q's but considering a[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]a as a possibility. Interested to see the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure he could do anything on the flop to protect his hand but him checking the turn wanting to trap check/raise two players and not overly worried I guess if it got checked through does scream monster.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Results

UTG+2 held KQo

[ QUOTE ]
my main question about this hand is whether or not to 3-bet the turn and call down vs a cap. I was fearing the flush, a hand like AcJc is certainly possible, as is a higher set(although unlikely as no cap preflop)

no read on UTG+2 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]