Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Racism

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to clarify the person;s original statement that he would never marry a balck person:

1. He would never do it under any circtumstance.
2. Its not a matter of physical attraction, becuase there are blakc girls he finds attractive. He would even date them, but never marry.
3. He would emphatically rule out marriage to any black woman BEFORE meeting, speaking, dating, or spending time with them.
4. This is not based on religious or socioeconomic factors, as he was just as certain he would never marry a person who mtached him perfectly.
5. He does have MANY non-white friends who he treats equally to his whit eones., He is clearly not prejudiced, but fails to understand the difference between racism and prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say I know an old time white dude from the burbs who owns a large apartment complex and is renting it out. He has decided he would never rent an apartment to a black person:

1. He would never do it under any circtumstance.
2. Its not a matter of quality of person, becuase there are blakc people with good personalities. He would even hang out with them, but never rent.
3. He would emphatically rule out renting to any black person BEFORE meeting, speaking, interviewing, or spending time with them.
4. This is not based on religious or socioeconomic factors, as he was just as certain he would never rent to a person who mtached him perfectly.
5. He does have MANY non-white friends who he treats equally to his whit eones., He is clearly not prejudiced (??????), but fails to understand the difference between racism and prejudice.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:47 PM

you are showing your own prejudice

how did this guy imply that another race is inferior

I believe you simply used your own prejudice to infer it

He won't marry anyone from another race because of the hassles it will cause by the way society judges him,them. Is this prejudice. Yep. Is it racist. Yep. Is he implying that another race is inferior. Nope. You did that all on your on
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are showing your own prejudice

how did this guy imply that another race is inferior

I believe you simply used your own prejudice to infer it

He won't marry anyone from another race because of the hassles it will cause by the way society judges him,them. Is this prejudice. Yep. Is it racist. Yep. Is he implying that another race is inferior. Nope. You did that all on your on

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to reply with this in mind. At no point did he say it is because of inferiorness. jedi just wanted to--again--change the topic from what it was to try and support his statement.

It may not have anything to do with being inferior, and for that matter, it may have to do with society. He couldn't marry a black woman because he couldn't live with having to subject himself to the ridicule and annoying aspects that society would place upon him. I hardly think this is "the same motivation" that those involved in genocide have. Again, I do not follow your ideas jedi, and I'm trying to....