Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Overplayed AK Heads Up?

The turn raise works a lot better on a Q, but even then it isn't great. Realize that most players will not fold any hand they capped preflop to that raise. You have a shot at folding A-high with a river bet, but that's a bad bet because of all the pairs that will check/call and scoop the pot. So you really have to re-evaluate what you're doing.

I don't like calling down. Peel the flop and the turn (7-1), and fold the river UI. No worse hands are betting that river, and AK will often c/f or c/c. The pot is large enough that if Villain checks the river, you should bet.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Overplayed AK Heads Up?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reads: villain is is 18/13 over 50 hands, but this was a fairly loose table and was playing pretty TAG while I was at the table. Also one BB poster in MP3.

Not sure if I like my line here, plus I am on a nice 100BB downswing after I just moved up in levels, so I dont know if I am just applying lower level thinking to this hand...

This is my first hand posting, so if I miss something feel free to flame away as well.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn raise is Fancy Play Syndrome, unless you have a solid read that this guy has an ace high and will fold it. Call down.

He did cap preflop, so if he is a TAG then at best we are chopping this pot. 50 hands is a tiny sample size, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes little sense. If our opponent has A high, we don't want him to fold it. We want him to continue putting money in with it. The fact that villian might have A high is one reason we really don't want to raise the turn, because we might encourage a dominated A high hand to fold.

Calling down is much better here. This looks like a reasonably standard line here. It's kind of like WA/WB, though with the added advantage that we have outs against a lot of hands that are beating us, though some of the hands we are beating are still in fact way behind (the lesser A high hands). Raising is silly because we will never get any kind of pair to fold on an innoucuous board like this, we are not ahead enough to raise for value, and we may fold out hands we are beating.