Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Poor Paul McCartney

[ QUOTE ]
I think Lennon is very underrated as a guitarist. He came up with some very inovative chord progressions during a time where musicians were doing typical D A G simple stuff mostly. He also was inovative with his rhythms.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lennon is one of the best rhythm guitarists ever. He was fantastic. Playing tunes at 300 BPM does not a good guitarist make.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just for the record, it was Buddy Holly who changed all that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot that, I've seen 'The Buddy Holly Story' about 15 times, but it still just slipped my mind. Besides, I said that before the Beatles it was uncommon, not that it had never been done before. I should have said the Beatles helped to change all that, which they did. Thanks for the reminder though.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that his first wife was a daughter of George Eastman (Kodak film), so he's got a shitload of her inheritance...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. This is a commonly repeated urban legend. At least get your facts right when you trash some one.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong. This is a commonly repeated urban legend. At least get your facts right when you trash some one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is OOT. I can repeat unfounded urban legends here [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is OOT. I can repeat unfounded urban legends here [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I am free to mention your propensity to wear women's underwear while you play poker or is that still supposed to be a secret? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. In addition to weak music, he's a greedy whore. His Beatles money wasn't enough, so he formed Wings. Money from that group wasn't enough so he's toured for over 25 years.

Not to mention that his first wife was a daughter of George Eastman (Kodak film), so he's got a shitload of her inheritance...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the ending of the Beatles required him to roll over and die or anything. After all, music had been his whole life. What was he supposed to do, sign up for premature cryonics?

And his stuff wasn't all bad, by a long shot. Not a big Wings fan myself, I admit. And he was third place among the Beatles, to me.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
people who are familiar with his music with the Beatles generally don't make such comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, I think The Beatles are thee best band ever, period. Next would be Led Zeppelin, who where influenced by the beatles. How? Before the beatles, it was uncommon for performers to also be the writers of the songs they performed. You had a writer and then you had some other guy who arranged the song before the performer ever heard it. Jimmy Page was VERY inspired by how the beatles changed all that. Kinda like, "Hey, if they can do it maybe I can too." The rest is history.

My criticism of Sir Paul is basically the same as John Lennon's criticism of Elvis Presley after Elvis got out of the army. He felt that Elvis had lost "it" (except he didn't phrase it that politely). In my opinion, McCartney hasn't written a song worth listening to since Wings. If you or any body else can name a song he's written within the last 25 years that could be considered listenable (let alone heralded as undeniably great) please mention the title.

[/ QUOTE ]
What in the [censored] are you talking about? Lots of artists wrote and played their own material way before the Beatles.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:04 PM

That's ok. It distracts the table and keeps my head warm. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What in the [censored] are you talking about? Lots of artists wrote and played their own material way before the Beatles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimmy Page Interview 12/99

"Then you had the Beatles..., It wasn't so much, for me, their music, but the fact that they wrote their own songs and all of a sudden they opened the door for any band that could write songs."
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 AM

i thought this post was going to be about the commerical i saw him on tonight. was it for a credit card or something? he is a mutlimillionaire x infinity and he dimes himself out as some corporate whore? wtf?

at least once youre rich you can pretend to have principles.

bwana