Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Donk-bet w/ a set of Tens.

Some reads:

Hero I'm playing 10/5 (tigher than normal) and have been getting murdered. Down a buyin at the table in an hour. Not bitching, just saying others may perceive me as a spewing (despite tightening up PF).

UTG is 59/7 over 42 hands; never got way out of hand post flop.

MP3 is 30/5 over 93 and running hot (meaning I believe he's getting looser as he continues to win).

The turn donk-bet totally caught me off guard. I could not figue out what UTG would lead with here. As far as I could remember this is the first time he'd done such a thing. I am interested in how people think I should respond and what's my plan for later action?

(I'll post the rest of the hand later).

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)
FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (13.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.66 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 16.66 BB, between UTG, Hero and MP3.</font>
Old 09-13-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Donk-bet w/ a set of Tens.

Looks good to me.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:12 PM

first of all... against those two opponents, the chances of them having strong reads on you are nil... you're playing very tightly, but really, what does "playing 10/5" mean? that over the last 100 hands you've played 10? or have you decided to play twice as tight as normal and have been playing with the same table for thousands of hands.

the point, really, is that your point has little to no point for how you should play this hand.

preflop, flop, turn, are fine. easy, EASY turn raise.

and i'd bet the river.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 PM

thanks for the feedback, esp on the turn/river.

[ QUOTE ]
the point, really, is that your point has little to no point for how you should play this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough--just wanted to include my reads, and what the table may think of me (per the Harv-sticky post).

I was also interested to see if anyone had any thoughts on what this guy would donk-bet with. Does he really think I'd fold the turn here? Given the turn card does he really think this'll check through and he'll miss bets if his hand is best?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:48 PM

villain bets the turn with two pair, or a pair and an OESD a lot of the time... your set of tens is likely still good, and if it's not, you still have boat outs...

if you're in it, get out of the line of thinking that your opponents are betting to get you to fold (and vice versa)... frequently they're betting so that you call. or hoping you raise. here... it almost doesn't matter. there's a lot of legitimate, and some not-so-legitimate, excuses for your opponent to bet the turn. your hand is likely good, and you have outs to improve. your equity is high. a raise is in order.