Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Party 55, Who\'s the donk here?

Without crunching any numbers I believe it's correct for you to push here, but it may also be correct for the BB to call. If you've been pushing almost any two, I may take a shot at you with AK, try to collect 6500 chips, which gives me a great shot at winning the thing. The other two shortstacks still have 1200+ and may not be going anywhere for a while. If they have have < 700 chips or so I lay the AK down for sure.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:05 PM

Him.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:25 PM

Calling with AK is -0.9%, and that's if hero is pushing any two here, which he probably isn't. If the BB is for some reason 100% certain that hero is pushing any two here, only a call with pocket pairs 88-AA is +EV.

Note that if hero is even a little selective about what he's pushing here, that call range quickly shrinks even more. If he's only pushing only the top 50% of hands, for example, the call range shrinks to JJ+.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:33 PM

This is only a "push any two" situation if you can confidently put the BB on a very tight range, like 99+, AJs+, AKo. The SB needs to be pretty tight as well.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Default How I got to be the big stack + a question for BadMongo

Question:

I'm curious as to what you put for calling ranges for this push to be only slightly +EV. I actually tried to (finally) download Eastbays thingy but there's a message on the website that I'm out of luck til Sep 13.

My impression of the 55's is that very few will lay down AK here but I still can't see BB calling with any more than AK and maybe JJ+. If he would call with less then he's not as solid as I thought at the time. I think I'm calling with AA, KK and probably QQ as well but that's all. With the stacks the way they are I don't want to be not first into a pot against the other big stack without at least QQ. I wasn't pushing any 2 here either, not sure what my pushing range was actually but what I did just seemed like a good idea at the time.

I just had another look at the HH, maybe my image sucks. I suspect I may have made a mistake here, this from a few hands earlier and how I got to be the big stack.

SB 4525
BB 2070
UTG 2140
Button 1265

I have 1570 after posting the BB and have 33. Folded to big stack SB who pushes, I call and win against his QT. I did figure SB was pushing any 2 but I'm far from sure I was correct to call. I would sure like to hear some opinions here, I forgot about this hand but looking at it now I think I should be concentrating more on this one then the push. Man I really gotta get Eastbay's thingy!

Oh and thanks for all the responses so far, I really do appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: How I got to be the big stack + a question for BadMongo

nobody is a donk in this hand. you both played correct
Old 09-10-2005, 02:23 PM

Nobody's a donk this hand? Man the 55's are getting tough. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2005, 02:44 PM

I'm amazed at all the responses that say to push. This is a fold and I fold this all day every day. I'm not tight on the bubble by any means, but people like opening up their ranges and while it hurts them more than it hurts you, it's important to remember that they do this, and act accordingly. With a player that has 2 BBs and is getting hit up next hand, I fold this happily.

Easy, easy fold.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:45 PM

As I stated previously, I would call w/ AK. Even though the ICM analysis shows it to be slightly -$EV I don't think it's a terrible play. 1st and 4th are my highest % finishes respectively, probably because I tend to make calls like this.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm amazed at all the responses that say to push. This is a fold and I fold this all day every day. I'm not tight on the bubble by any means, but people like opening up their ranges and while it hurts them more than it hurts you, it's important to remember that they do this, and act accordingly. With a player that has 2 BBs and is getting hit up next hand, I fold this happily.

Easy, easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I fold this also. I used to make pushes like these and would get called by all kinds of crap (@ 215) and go down in flames. If the original poster had an extra 750 and BB had 750 less then it would be worth it but this is just life or death and I don't want to do with those cards.