Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Help me improve my post-flop play

So, last night I decided that I needed to improve my post-flop play. So I decide to head down to my local card room and sit down at the lowest limit they had - 1/2. I make the decision to play every hand, no matter what the action is pre-flop. I expect to lose, but my goal is to break even.

The action is great - VERY VERY loose / passive (typical on any given day at this place). 9-10 see flop, even in raised pre-flop situations. 5-8 see river. 2-4 see showdown.

I got lucky in the beginning and doubled my initial $50 buy-in (eventually I lost it all). At this point I am at about $110 at this 1/2 table, and this very interesting hand comes up. I had played about 20-25 hands. Everybody at the table seemed pretty much the same (LP). There was one guy two to my right who bet and raised anything (even two undercards). Other than him, everybody was LP. OK, here's the hand:

<font color="blue">ONE blind structure ($1 to the left of the button).
9 players at table.

Hero is in Blind with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
All Call, Hero checks.

Flop: 9 players (9 SB): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, LP1 calls, LP2 raises, CO calls, Button re-raises,</font> Hero???

(The maniac spoken about earlier is on the CO in this hand.)

So my thinking is... in the 20-25 hands I've played, I have not seen one single re-raise on the flop. I must be drawing dead to anything more than a split... or am I?

I am beat by AA,AK,AQ,AJ,AT,A9,A8,A7,A6,KQ,JJ,JT,TT.
The raisers might also hold Q9, Ax (x =&lt; 5), 2 clubs.

I am not ruling out the PPs as nobody has raised a PP pre-flop yet (even AA, which I've seen once already), although people have raised hands like QJs pre-flop.

<font color="red"> Given all of this information, what would you do, and why? </font>

I'll post the results in a few hours.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Help me improve my post-flop play

Fold becuase your kicker is likely dominated and with 9 other people in the pot someone is going to hit their flush ot straight or better 2 pair if they havent hit it already
Old 09-09-2005, 09:41 AM

The table is passive post-flop, and was raised twice, so I fold, easily. If someone has a set or two pair on the ace your drawing slim, if not dead.

Post these hands on micro-limits.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:59 AM

Assuming everyone calls the three bet you are getting 34:2 on your call with top pair. Your two pair outs alone make this a call against these fishies. You are likely drawing slim but this is a mega pot and I would want to see a turn card. FWIW I would not have bet the flop I would have checked and seen what the action was back to me.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your two pair outs alone make this a call against these fishies.

[/ QUOTE ]
All of hero's outs are extremely dirty.

When a table this passive has a raise and a 3-bet, it's an easy fold IMO.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:35 PM

At the sort of live tables described by OP, this flop is almost never 3bet w/o a set or the nut straight. Super easy fold.

jvs
Old 09-09-2005, 12:44 PM

The odds are humoungous to try and improve, but I would be concerned about the reverse implied odds of connecting on the turn. There is nothing we can catch that gives us 100% confidence of taking down the pot, even something like running 5's leaves us 2nd best against a higher set. I think the planets need to align for us to win this.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The odds are humoungous to try and improve, but I would be concerned about the reverse implied odds of connecting on the turn. There is nothing we can catch that gives us 100% confidence of taking down the pot, even something like running 5's leaves us 2nd best against a higher set. I think the planets need to align for us to win this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I am not trying to troll or just different but in a game with players this bad in a pot this big I like seeing the turn here. Also action on the flop in this type of game means nothing when they start jamming the turn then I will bail.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Default RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
ONE blind structure ($1 to the left of the button).
9 players at table.

Hero is in Blind with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
All Call, Hero checks.

Flop: 9 players (9 SB): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, EP1 calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, LP1 calls, LP2 raises, CO calls, Button re-raises, Hero???

(The maniac spoken about earlier is on the CO in this hand.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[b]Not being results oriented, I think the fold was the correct play, but here's how it turned out:

<font color="blue">Hero folds, all call

Turn: 8 Players (17 BB): 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
All check to LP2. LP2 bets, CO calls, Button calls, EP1 calls, EP2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, LP1 calls.

River: 6 Players (23 BB): 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
All check

Winner: LP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

My hand was good. (Button claimed to have Kx clubs)</font>

After this hand, LP2, CO, &amp; Button all became LAGs / maniacs. Every hand was raised or capped pre-flop and on the flop by these three with weak hands. I guess CO rubbed off on the players around him. This hand was a pivital change in pace. Had this hand come up 10-15 hands later (after these three had become LAGs), I would have check-called this to the river.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:26 PM

Your hand was good for half the pot. Probably another good reason to fold the flop you will chop this pot with another crappy ace.