Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: HU against a decent opponent in the blinds

You realize there is only one Q in the deck. Ahead when called 55% doesn't apply as much when you are ahead in the hand nearly 100%.

Krishan
Old 09-08-2005, 12:28 PM

i was going to post a hand in which i played like a GIANT pussy and gave up a ton of money with the semi nuts in a giant pot, but i think this will suffice for weak weak hands for today. bummer [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

rj
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh boy. I'd raise the flop. Since you didn't I'd raise the turn. Since you didn't I'd raise the river. If at any point I got 3 bet I would cap. Open completors don't have to have the nuts to lead the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I intended on getting quite aggressive on a non-spade turn/

Then, after the river fell, all I could think about was 65/55.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:33 PM

If the OP has read HPFAP, then he know that he's supposed to play tight/AGRESSIVE - not tight/passive. So many players today play tight/weak. I don't understand it, but I'm certainly not complaining about it.

The call on the flop is good. Assuming OP will only get one raise in (SB will check-call the remaining rounds), I would rather get the raise in on the turn or river instead of the flop since the turn and river is a big bet instead of a small bet. That said, I would rather get the raise in on the turn instead of the river since, if SB is chasing, he'll fold on the river raise, but call on the turn raise.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You realize there is only one Q in the deck. Ahead when called 55% doesn't apply as much when you are ahead in the hand nearly 100%.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what it is!!!

The 55 part goes down as the 65 part goes up. I forgot about that.

You see how I get caught up in it? You see....I try to use my brain.

Thanks....lesson relearned.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was going to post a hand in which i played like a GIANT pussy and gave up a ton of money with the semi nuts in a giant pot, but i think this will suffice for weak weak hands for today. bummer [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

tt..yeah. Good thing I'm not afraid to be humiliated [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what it is!!!
The 55 part goes down as the 65 part goes up. I forgot about that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not really. But when the 65% part is very high the 55% part have very hard to fall under 55%. If you lose more than 50% when you get called, then the raise is useless. This is true the way Krishan stated it " (you need to be) Ahead when called 55%". The way you stated it "also believe he'll call more than 55% of the time" doesn't make any sense. If he's behind 65% of the time and call your raise only 55% of the time he'll only lose 36% of the times he'll call ( 0.65 * 0.55 = 0.36 ), thus you'll be losing. EDIT: omg, this was a stupid calculation. of course he'll fold his worst hands leaving you behind when called 90% of the time.

Hope this was to any help...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But when the 65% part is very high the 55% part have very hard to fall under 55%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

As a corollory, if you had the nuts (QQ) would you raise there? Of course because you can't be beat. Well your hand strength is just about the same with a lone Q as it would be with QQ. The thing about the nuts is we don't have to spend time analysing what worse hands will call. We can raise with impunity. With a hand as strong as yours though, you don't need to do a whole lot of thinking.

I'm also not sure why you didn't think a J would call. (I'm assuming here) There are a lot more hands with jacks than there are with queens. A pair of jacks alone is enough to be ahead when called 65%.

Krishan
Old 09-08-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: flop raise speculations

I agree with Evan - you must raise the flop. You are ahead and could get drawn out by the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] flush and other hands. Pay 2 play time. And after your raise, the hand should play differently. If SB folds, who cares, you win. If SB calls, what do you put him on? Flush draw, or two pairs? If he 3 bets, a smaller set? Whatever decision you make about his hand, odds are the your raise and his reaction narrows the number of hands you put him on making the decision on the river card easier. Yes? Call the flop raise a value bet with research implications.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: flop raise speculations

Disagree. Wait 'til the turn to raise. In the long run you make more money this way