Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: AA, 10-20 Borgata

The backdoor nut club draw adds significant equity to your hand, making your equity edge on the flop very significant in this size field. It's not a small edge to be passed on, ala the TT example in SSHE. Collecting the bets now is much better than calling and checking on the turn, many times to see the action check to a late position bettor or even (ugh) check around.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Flop is bad. You need to raise here. A raise is not going to scare away a Kx hand or a flush draw for one more bet... and if you get a raise from SB it's not so bad to scare out the draws.

Turn is good.

River is fine.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is bad...
Turn is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, now I'm confused. How can you say the turn is good if you don't like the flop?

The turn raise is an entirely different line from a flop raise. If we raise the flop, we're probably not gonna get to raise the turn; we'll most likely just have to bet when checked to.

I'd most likely be raising the flop here too, but I'm still not so sure why waiting for the turn is bad.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop is bad...
Turn is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, now I'm confused. How can you say the turn is good if you don't like the flop?

The turn raise is an entirely different line from a flop raise. If we raise the flop, we're probably not gonna get to raise the turn; we'll most likely just have to bet when checked to.

I'd most likely be raising the flop here too, but I'm still not so sure why waiting for the turn is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. There is a good chance that you will be checked to on the turn if you are not reraised on the flop. The turn is good based on the action that occured before that (same thing with the river).

Let me flip it back -- why cold call the flop? What are you gaining?

I am not saying you should play scared, but slowplaying AA here is just foolish. By the way, can we count the scare cards here? Any club, any 4, 5, 9 or T -- any J, Q or K is likely to improve someone's hand to trips or two pairs as well.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am not saying you should play scared, but slowplaying AA here is just foolish.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree. I guess I just saw OP's line and started thinking it wasn't so terrible. But yeah, you're right.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Hi Nate,

Your play is fine, I'm not sure what you are unsure of. A raise on the flop will do nothing but maybe get it checked to you on the turn, if not 3-bet by SB. Your turn raise is for value, so waiting for the turn was terrific.

SB's river bet smells of K9s or even worse 87s, either way, he's not leaving the hand. As for the river play, the pot is large, you close the action, so calling is good. Besides, I hate folding late, I'd rather do it early. You play enough hours to know that AA runs into this crap all the time. I'll cross my fingers and hope to see SB with AK.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:34 PM

Won't raising make it hard for me to protect my hand ever?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 PM

I have the button; it's not gonna get checked around. I'm trying to protect my hand on the turn. Is that possible? Is just calling the flop the best way to do it?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:37 PM

Man, jumping ship so fast. How the heck am I going to protect my hand ever if not on the turn? Even inducing a 3bet on the flop won't do anything. Then on the turn I can't protect my hand, but I might as well get extra value/free showdown/whatever, free raise, seems superior to just calling.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Won't raising make it hard for me to protect my hand ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I say anything about hand protection?