Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2003, 10:31 PM

Default Results

Preflop I called because the good player open-raised from LMP -- he knows I'm tight so his chances of stealing the blinds are OK (although he knows SB is loose). He could have 77-AA, KJo, maybe KTs, Axs, etc.

Flop I 3-bet because I thought I had the best hand. The problem is he probably won't raise the flop without a strong hand because keeping the fish in the pot is beneficial for him. I neglected to consider this when 3-betting.

Anyway, as bad beetz said, good player had AA (who re-raises the turn here in his spot?) Fish had K6o for turned 2 pair.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Sanity check

It must've been my first hand when I posted in the CO because I had 42o. It was nice to river bad beetz on the next hand and have him moronically call my river raise with TP/TK. That advertising play I ran at him when we were all in the 6-12 at Lucky Chances 4-5 months ago (5 betting top pair on the turn against his full house) is still reaping benefits.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:49 PM

Default Re: OK, so I\'m the weak tight POS that thought it was bad.

What do you do on the turn if it goes check,bet,call, instead of check,bet,raise

Muck. I'm behind and quite probably have 0 or 2 outs.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 AM

"See?! somebody agrees."

I agree too. It was too much flop action and a loose pre-flop call.

"I thought his play was bad because he was obviously beaten on the flop. Then I realized that the strong player openraised in LMP, so the call is not that bad because he would do so with KJ, suited aces, etc."

Sure, but what's he raising the flop bet with -- KJs or A2s? If he's got AKs or AQs and is hoping for a free-card, then he's drawing pretty slim. If he's got an overpair, then you're just giving him action.

As for the pre-flop call, you're playing against a strong player out-of-position. I think folding is a much more attractive option here. However, I'd consider re-raising with ATo against a weak player with position.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:00 AM

haakee,
I think your call is close to automatic pre-flop, given that it's a strong player opening in LMP. The exception is if you're in a game where there's no chance of stealing the blinds (so the good-playing raiser always has a legitimate hand). But, you should have bet the turn, and gone into check-call mode when you got raised. I agree with mike l that if you're unable to limit your action here, you're better off folding pre-flop. The check-raise from a weakie is bad news for any one pair, and since I read ahead, it would be pretty easy for me to guess what the tough player had. But for god's sake, don't fold AT vs a possible blind steal.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:12 AM

I truly can't imagine that folding TPTK here on the turn is correct at all, even if you strongly suspected he had an overpair. I happily pay off and expect to win a lot of the time.

I also don't understand the numerous responses that the flop 3-bet was a mistake. WTF?
Old 09-03-2003, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... I also don't understand the numerous responses that the flop 3-bet was a mistake. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since we're giving the Raiser the benefit of the doubt that he's a solid player, putting him on AA-JJ isn't too out of line, after he raises Post flop I'm burning a track in the felt mucking my TPTK, because either I'm a bad reader and I shouldn't be respecting his raises in the first place, or I'm stone cold beat. If you think you're a bad reader and 3 bet him, you now have a world of other problems with your game to think about.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That advertising play I ran at him when we were all in the 6-12 at Lucky Chances 4-5 months ago (5 betting top pair on the turn against his full house) is still reaping benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

and at higher limits. good investment.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:42 PM

Hands I raised Hakkee's blinds with that night include, but are not limited to:

1) AA
2) JJ
3) 99
3) AKo
4) AJo
5) T9s

I doubt I would raise him with much less, because the small blind was an idiot (as evidenced by his K6o pre-flop call and two flop two-bet cold-calls) and I want to at least have him high carded. KJo would be the bottom of the spectrum, and before playing it I would look at the idiot to try to see how interested he is in playing his hand.

The T9s was actually a variance play where I already had 3 limpers. Odd thing is that this one was checked to me on a QQ2 rainbow flop, and my one flop bet took it down. Good things happen when you raise.

--Avarice
Old 09-03-2003, 06:04 PM

I also don't understand the numerous responses that the flop 3-bet was a mistake. WTF?

I am also somewhat surprised. I said he was a good player, I didn't say he was a rock.