Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Small top two.

At first I thought this was obvious but I'm not sure now.

7 handed. Hero has $90 and both cover him. UTG aggressive and a bit loose. EP seems TAG. Neither are stupid.

UTG limps, EP raises to $4, 2 folds, Hero calls on button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], blinds fold, UTG calls.

Flop 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3players) pot $14.

UTG bets $14, EP calls, Hero???

If you just call what is your plan for the turn?

Thanks,
James
Old 09-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Small top two.

Fold. You have no good redraw (runner-runner straight), and you hate any card that isn't a 5 or 7 on the turn. Any overcard can and usually will kill your hand. Fold and pick a better spot.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:22 PM

Unless you think EP is smooth calling with a set here, I would raise and get as much money in as possible here. You have top two and a gutter-bomb and are a favorite over a lot of hands that UTG might be betting with and UTG calling with. Too often "tight aggressive" players call a bet on the flop with AAxx and no draw rather than folding or reraising when appropriate.

Raise here unless UTG only bets out in EP when he flops really hard.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:16 AM

I said that utg was 'a bit loose'. That's wrong. Preflop he was loose and could easily have cards that hit this flop. He would also have raised better hands preflop.

I'm not very worried about EP when he only calls the flop. I agree it looks like an overpair.

Without further reads what do people think of UTG betting into PFR rather than checkraising? Can I take that as a sign of weakness? How reliable is this kind of read generally?

James
Old 09-03-2005, 05:05 AM

Most players betting into a preflop raiser on the flop are betting draws rather than made hands. I would tend to assume, with no other information, that he is much more likely to be betting a draw here. If he is a tricky player, he may be betting into the PFR with a set, hoping to get raised on this fairly draw unfriendly flop. I still think the best line is to raise here. You are a favorite over a lot of the hands that could be betting / calling here.