Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 05:48 PM

Default HOH online relevance?

I really want to play mtt's on pp... but I want to play them educated. it seems that in overall value, HOH blows the other books away... but what Im wondering, is (at any given level), how effective are the techniques taught in this book used in online MTT's?

if you could relate experiences at the different levels anywhere from frerolls [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] up to high buy-ins (where I personally suspect are the closest relevancies)

I woulda searched this, but had no idea what to search for...haha

thoughts?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: HOH online relevance?

read the books, read the forums.

learn to play poker.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:13 PM

The relavance of mtt online to HOH is very big. I'm a cash game player and read HOH I and II to improve my tourney play, it has been amazing. I thought I knew a lot, but this book is awesome. The book translates great onto any tourney, but remember this. The faster the blinds go up, the more luck involved. With that said, if you read the book and apply the principals you should see improvements in your tournament results. Well worth the $60 for the two books.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:17 PM

thanks for the quick reply...
Rose, are you saying this is a noob post? Im just wondering if its online-relevant... if its inappropriate or spam, lemme know, wont do it again.

also, I think I remember running across a thread days ago that said something about a book deal through 2+2, wdoes that ring a bell?

thanks again'
eric
Old 09-01-2005, 06:20 PM

HOH is a MTT book, why would it not apply to online MTT's?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but in the book he makes reference to online tourneys all over the place.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:37 PM

HOH applies to all online MTTs. But as with any form of poker, the key is knowing your opponents and which plays work against which players. In a freeroll or low buy-in MTT, you'll find more calling stations, weak-tight players and unobservant players. Which player will fold to continuation bets? Which player will call pot bets and overbets with weak draws? When is it worth mixing up your play? These are judgment calls that HOH assumes you're able to make.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but in the book he makes reference to online tourneys all over the place.

[/ QUOTE ]

shh, make him read it!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shh, make him read it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why be dicks? People here are so rude to new posters with reasonable questions. Online tournaments play differently from live tournaments, especially cheap online tournaments, due both to the type of players you face and the speed of the blinds. Harrington covers these things in the books, but if the OP hasn't read them or hasn't read them fully, how would he know? He asked a reasonable question.

To the OP, harrington's basic strategies are applicable to any kind of tournament, provided you adjust the way you react to your opponent's actions based on how they play. He most directly targets bigger buyin live tournaments in the books and the players you face online, especially in cheap buyin tournaments, are generally looser and less rational than the typical opponents Harrington talks about.

Another key thing to think about with online, large field tournaments is chip accumulation in the early stages. Because the blinds escalate so quickly, you have to be more willing to take cheap flops and play hands aggressively when you flop well.

In general, if you read and learn from the Harrington books, you will have a great foundation for any multitable tournament, including the weakest online tournaments. For the most part, he is focusing on preparing you for bigger buyin events, but he does talk about cheaper online tournaments and both books are the best available preparation for them as well.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 PM

I think it translates pretty well.. Only that with Online MTT, you'll have to use all his concepts in a very short period of time.. ie. Before you know it, with the fast blind increases, you'll have to use inflection point play and strategy a lot quicker than a normal tourney where blinds go up slow and there's not as much pressure to accumulate chips in the early going