Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you do?
Fold 6 8.33%
Limp 13 18.06%
Push 53 73.61%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Party 22, AA 1st hand, anyone fold this?

Not in a million years am I laying this one down at the 22s.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. I hate raising to 100+ preflop here. Unlike many here I don't assume all players at the 22s are total retards. You could raise up to 90 though, but I'm fine with 75.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, not all players are "total retards," but enough are to make the raise worthwhile.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. I hate raising to 100+ preflop here. Unlike many here I don't assume all players at the 22s are total retards. You could raise up to 90 though, but I'm fine with 75.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, not all players are "total retards," but enough are to make the raise worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on the tables I play. Most of the time the only thing hero picks up with a massive overraise is the pittance that is already in the pot. From time to time a donk calls or pushes.

With a smaller raise you will get a lot of calls you actually want. Ie, solid or semi-solid players with JJ/TT. Players with AJ/AT who want to see a flop etc.

I am not scared to death about seeing a flop three handed with AA. At least not so scared that I will make a massive overbet panic raise preflop.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:06 PM

what time of the day do you typically play? Do you find this to be true everyday or just certain days, say monday-wed?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:14 PM

I dont get this thread...1c5 has more experience than me and hes up like 15 K..maybe the betting action occured on the river..wtf.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what time of the day do you typically play? Do you find this to be true everyday or just certain days, say monday-wed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play when Party is crowded.

Of course if I have spotted players making huge mistakes in level 1 I can raise more but against a standard 22 table I think in the long run it is better to avoid bets that have the subtlety of a fog horn. Not because of the donks that call. I don't lose much by having them call a raise to 80 instead of 150 because they are likely to continue making mistakes postflop. But I lose a lot when someone with 99-JJ/AJ/AQ doesn't call a 150 bet but are willing to call an 80 bet.

I see a bet of 115 or 150 preflop here as a way to trying to implement the pushbot mentality even in level 1. I don't know if it is because people here are genuinely uncomfortable with postflop play or if they truly think they will earn more chips in the long run that way.

I might add I don't mind 2+2ers or other solid players making the massive overraise here. It has gotten me out of trouble with AK/JJ and even sometimes QQ lots of times in level 1.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:51 PM

how do you know I am up 15 k? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why you think a somewhat larger raise is overkill. My usual raise preflop is 3-4xBB + limpers. Here 4xBB would be 60 + 3 limpers for 15 each is 45 for a total of 105. With this many limpers + people to act after you including the blinds, I think you're going to get at least 1 call. Especially at the 22's.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why you think a somewhat larger raise is overkill. My usual raise preflop is 3-4xBB + limpers. Here 4xBB would be 60 + 3 limpers for 15 each is 45 for a total of 105. With this many limpers + people to act after you including the blinds, I think you're going to get at least 1 call. Especially at the 22's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply because those that are in the hand don't think in those terms. They think "ooh, I have to call another 90, better fold my AQ".
Old 08-30-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply because those that are in the hand don't think in those terms. They think "ooh, I have to call another 90, better fold my AQ".

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree many will think that way, but with so many limpers, blinds, etc. I also think one or more will think, "Ugh, raise to 90, well I can't fold my AQ."