Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Always chop/never chop?

[ QUOTE ]
Refuse to chop if you'd like, but be consistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I was at the Mirage, I learned that this is now a rule there.

If you chop with someone, you are obligated to always chop with them. Apparently they made it a rule after an incident at high stakes where someone didn't follow the normal ettiquette of always or never, and a big dispute erupted. At least, that's what several dealers told me.

I presume that lasts only as long as the two of you retain your seats. I mean, how would they enforce it if you sat down next to someone that you had chopped with 2 weeks ago and refused to chop this time? But I didn't ask to that level of detail.

Personally, I think this is a good thing. I hope more rooms start making it a rule.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once someone refuses to chop I never ask again we are playin the hand doesn't matter if it's the next orbit or six months later I'm not chopping with this person.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Once someone refuses to chop I never ask again we are playin the hand doesn't matter if it's the next orbit or six months later I'm not chopping with this person.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A chop refused once is a chop refused for the night. I also never ask again. When I am in a "no chop" mood, I tell the other players if it becomes apparent that chops will happen. Since I play at Canterbury, where there are 3-5 tables at almost every level, I ask for a table change if there are more than a couple chops. There are too many soft tables to stay at a tight table.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 PM

the one exception to this rule is when a game gets short. i'm always willing to chop in a full game, but if we get down to 6-handed or less i'll let the guys next to me know that i stop choppping, since otherwise every other hand might be chopped.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the one exception to this rule is when a game gets short. i'm always willing to chop in a full game, but if we get down to 6-handed or less i'll let the guys next to me know that i stop choppping, since otherwise every other hand might be chopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, as soon as the game becomes five-handed, I'm the first player to say, "I don't chop five-handed." I still chop six-handed, though. That seems to be the norm at Commerce 20/40 and above.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 4/8 yesterday, in the small blind when it got folded to me and I offered to chop with the BB. He said no (he already looked at his cards). Okay, I look at my cards, have any 2 and raise. He 3-bets me. Okey dokey. I see a flop. Doesn't help and I fold. He shows AK.

So other than the obvious screw up where I try to outplay him when he has a premium hand, when I see him in the future, I'm free to raise his blind and refuse a chop, right? After all, he never chops.

[/ QUOTE ]

My line is, "I didn't come here to chop blinds."
Old 08-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Much better is "i want to gamBOOOOL"
Old 08-27-2005, 12:26 PM

Im a huge fan of chopping, its like you get the next orbit of hands for a big discount. However, if someone refuses to chop, even just once I will never chop with them again. At that point the blind play against the guy who wont chop is solely about implied spite. A few weeks back folded to SB who I proposed a chop with before looking at my cards, he says "no I think I just want to play this one out." He promptly makes it $10 to go (2/5NL) I call with 29s and flop 2 pair to bust his KK. You better believe he offered a chop next time it was folded to our blinds and I couldnt stop laughing.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 PM

I understand the idea of always/never, but it also depends on the rake structure. If a substantial amount of the rake comes out at the flop, then it's foolish not to chop. In a semi-standard 10%-to-$X structure (e.g. AC: 10% to $4) I don't really see any reason to chop, although i'll sometimes do so b/c not chopping is likely to peg me as a "serious" player and raise the hackles of the tourists and gamblers.

JMO, YMMV, of course.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common (albeit very foolish), attitude. The "correct" strategy is for you to start selectively chopping yoursef, i.e. you should still offer to chop your very worst hands while playing your better ones.