Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Lose bets not pots?

I have often heard Ed Miller says that's its better to lose bets than pots, especially on the river. Did I take that idea too far here? i.e should have have folded to the raise on the river or not?

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 08-24-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Lose bets not pots?

If you bet this river, you should be prepared to fold to a raise. If you can't bring yourself to fold, just check and call instead.

On this particular hand, button either had you beat on the flop (like 33) or spiked an A on the river. There is no way your hand is good 10% of the time here.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:09 PM

You're probably beaten since the only hand villain possibly could have that you beat is a busted flushdraw (diamonds). But then again, you're getting 9.5:1 on the call, and with no read I wouldn't be over 10% sure that villain didn't misclick/is a donk/is tilting/is a really bad player/really likes to bluff on suited rivers/suffers from FPS.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:11 PM

I'm not sure if I like your flop bet. Betting 2nd pair into 6 opponents with 2 cards to come where half the deck is overcards seems like a bad idea.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet this river, you should be prepared to fold to a raise. If you can't bring yourself to fold, just check and call instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be over 10% sure that villain didn't misclick/is a donk/is tilting/is a really bad player/really likes to bluff on suited rivers/suffers from FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL love it, what is FPS?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if I like your flop bet. Betting 2nd pair into 6 opponents with 2 cards to come where half the deck is overcards seems like a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving those overcards/flushdraws/inside &amp; OE straight draws/BDFD infinite odds to beat you when this is a above average flop for your hand is a far worse idea.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM

FPS = Fancy Play Syndrome
Old 08-24-2005, 04:34 PM

gotta raise preflop.

fold the river.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM

Grunch

The pot is fairly big, but I don't want to put in two bets with a scare card like the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I'd check call on the river.