Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 06:32 PM

Default call for image?

2$ 4$ game, 10 handed......folds to me on c.o with 10 10, i raise....button cold calls , as does b.b. flop comes A Q 5, checks to me, i bet, button raises, do I call here for the sake of my image or just muck?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: call for image?

Call and fold UI.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:34 PM

If it's for the sake of your image, maybe you should raise.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:35 PM

This may be just me, but I'm never making a call I don't want to for image at a small stakes table. Chances are most people aren't even paying attention to you and what you do, they are just playing their cards. If the only reason you would make this call is for your image, fold.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:42 PM

No way in hell am I spending at the minimum 2.5 BB for an image that will be forgotten by the entire table in the amount of time it takes the poker software to stop displaying my cards.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:49 PM

Did BB call? It helps to show players and pot size when making these decisions.

Making weak flop calls for the sake of an image is only acceptable if the decision is close, ie would be a borderline fold if you hadn't already bet.

Considering only the next street, you're paying 10:1 to draw to 2 outs if you're behind, drawing to something like 22:1. I let it go.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:57 PM

Just dump to the raise. Players at this level don't pay enough attention to make image worth it.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:19 PM

Accoding to The Theory Of Poker you want to amplify the mistakes you oppenents are making and induce them to make more.

There are 3 types of players you have a chance to send a little message to on this hand. Passive, correctly agressive and bluffers.

Passive players can be induced into being more passive two ways at this point. If you fold, you make them win the least when they are ahead. This makes them want to be more passive. If you raise you make them lose the maximum when behind. Again, this makes them want to play more passively. If you call, you give them a reason to be less passive.

Correctly aggressive players who are betting with what is probably the best hand can't be manipulated much. They don't have an error to amplify. Folding is the correct strategy, so use it.

Bluffers want you to fold, and you want them to bluff more in the future. Folding is the best thing to do when you don't think you are winning or don't have the pot odds.

Ironically, calling is the worst strategy, and does the least to amplify your oppenents mistakes.

Folding is a pretty good choice, it satifies both strategy requirements and serves to amplify passive players and bluffers mistakes.

Raising should only be used against passive players who might fold. You amplify thier tendancy to make mistakes and you also have a chance to win the hand. If your passive oppenent caps, then you should fold for strategic and table image reasons.

-D