Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Queens in the SB

Very first hand of a live multi.
We each start with t2500 with blinds 25/50.
I am SB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]- Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
MP raises to 150. I have never played with this guy and have no read on him. All I heard from him was that in last weeks tournament he laid down jacks in the bubble, fearing being dominated or in race, with his short-stack.
MP+1 calls.
Everyone folds me to. I decide I dont want to build a huge pot this early and though I am out of position I feel like I need to see a flop, because I am pretty sure a re-raise will either result in a call or another re-raise/push.
BB folds.
Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]- 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]- 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check ( silly right? )
MP bets 400.
MP+1 calls.
I check-raise to 1000. Finally figuring out that I need more information from the guy on this hand.
MP re-raises 2500 all-in.
MP+1 folds.

What do you think MP could have and what is my move?
Also, how would you have played this hand from the start, since I clearly played it like a monkey?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Queens in the SB

Reraise preflop. That's where you'll get the information you need. If he pushes on top you have a tough decision, but the third raise almost certainly would signify AA, KK, or AK. Stick in a good reraise since you're out of position-- make it somewhere between 600-750 straight. Then get it in on the flop if you can (if there's no A or K).

As it stands, your line may have gotten you the least information at the highest possible cost.
I'm probably calling since I've already put in 60% of my stack, but at this point I think I'm beaten, too. Unless this guy is a total donkey and has something like ATo (or possibly JJ), I can't see what you're beating that takes this line.