Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Teaching a SNG \"class.\" How do these topics look?

Since you are putting in the work you might as well make some money from it. Sign up as an affiliate. You could get them some first time sign up bonuses and offer them rakeback if you want. Some of these guys may turn into regular earners for you.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say most people would rather have even a semi-systematic presentation, rather than a jumble of a billion posts to decipher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the learning is knowing how and when to sift the B.S. from the PhD.

Learning (like poker) is supposed to be fun. Part of the learning is the fun, part of the fun is in these forums and others like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the fun for YOU.

A lot of people would rather gouge their eyes out than spend time nerding it up on an internet forum.

eastbay
Old 08-11-2005, 10:43 AM

Maybe you have a gift for teaching but I'd venture to say that HOH or hold'em for advanced players has a good chronology for a class on this stuff; at least as far as the basics goes. I would just make it easier on my self and do a required reading type thing where they read a chapter of the book and then you have a little class where you show examples and play hands and explain the material to solidify it. That would really let the info. in the book set in and then you can supplement or expound upon the information as you feel necessary.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:56 AM

I feel like the guy that didnt get the patent.. Oh well I still keep my stuff to myself, and my students are doing better then I am.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:15 AM

Some random thoughts:

Advanced topics:
Hand Reading
Controlling pot size
Value of position
When and when not to bluff
HU play at the end vs. various types of opponents
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 AM

Add my Simple SnG Guide to the reading list.

it's not a long read...lol
Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 PM

The chronology is one part I'm still trying to iron out. I feel pretty strongly that the first section needs to be about the meta-game, something that's not covered in detail in either ToP or HoH. It might not be a bad idea to have them do some reading first, but I definitely want to squeeze in more than a chapter's worth per class.

What does everyone think of the amount of material covered before they play their first game? I am inclined to get them playing as soon as possible so that they are forced to think and apply what they've learned right away.

Are there any topics that I should cover before their first game that I'm don't have listed?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:00 PM

I think the amount of material before playing is enough. If they really understand these concepts, then they can make money. Applying these concepts is much harder and I agree that having them play as soon as possible is the way to go.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What does everyone think of the amount of material covered before they play their first game? I am inclined to get them playing as soon as possible so that they are forced to think and apply what they've learned right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I think you need to get some basic strategy into them and have them play 10-20 S&G's quickly. If they have not played any before (I am too lazy to go reread the description of the students) until they have some under their belt to get some frame of reference, they will be hard pressed to even understand what you are telling them. (That is, they will just not be aware of a lot of the mechanics and details enough to really get things IMO.)

I also think it is a good idea to keep the lessons short with mandatory play time between them so they don't get overwhelmed. You are covering a lot of material, and most of it will require time to sink in and playing time to really understand.