Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Raised the turn with middle pair, good play?

Villian is a slight LAG. I was looking for more callers PF but when it became heads up I had to go for it. Especially after reading this thread in last week's digest:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=

The hand:

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

???

Final Pot: 9.25 BB.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Raised the turn with middle pair, good play?

Fold or raise PF, dont open limp. I prefer a fold here.
Flop - good
turn - his raise says flush or Jack. Since you say he is a LAG, I call and get to showdown cheap, 3 bet is a bit much.
river - call if he bets, bet/fold if he checks
Old 08-10-2005, 12:40 PM

Villain checked in the BB, so 82 and 32 are definitely in his range of hands. I don't think I can fold if he check/raises me on the river.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:43 PM

I don't think you should open-limp 87s in a 6-max game unless you're positive that all the other players will call behind you (and you really can't be).

Flop bet is fine, but I'd just call him down after the turn check/raise. If you're ahead, he'll probably bet the river again and you'll end up making the same amount (unless he would've called your river bet after reraising the turn). You lose less if you're behind to a flush or two pair.

You might think about raising when you make 2 pr on the river, but there's a decent chance you're beat if he calls you (or worse, reraises).

Also, I'm not sure how this hand applies to the one that you linked to. That hand was against a tight, thinking player, which isn't what most LAGs are (in my experience).
Old 08-10-2005, 12:45 PM

good point, he could have anything. call or bet/call the rvr. We do still want to bet this rvr correct?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:47 PM

working on 6-max game, so take this w/a grain of salt. I wouldn't limp here with 87s, but that's me.

I like the try on the turn raise. After you are 3-bet, you have to decide if he has the flush or not because if he does, it won't matter if you get another 8 or 7 (like you did on the river). So basically you have to make the decision on the turn whether you are going to give him credit for it.
Based on the fact that you called, you should call the river. Otherwise you should have folded on the turn.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:48 PM

Yeah, if we're checked to, we bet. Also, open liming 87s in MP at a 6 max game is pretty bad. It'd even take an exceptionally loose and passive table for me to want to limp it after a UTG limp.