Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: McEvoy\'s Cardplayer quiz #5

[ QUOTE ]

The essential problem with limping with JJ, then checking the flop is that you're turning in to a hand that has to hit the flop in order for you to scoop the pot. This is terrible IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

KQs is not JJ. That is the main problem with your analogy. Yes, it is a good hand, but it is likely going to need to improve to win a big pot (or even just to win). If you happen to get a lot of money in (or all-in) preflop with KQs you will generally be worse off than when you do it with JJ.

[ QUOTE ]
You limp with JJ, 7 to see the flop. flop is Kxx...you're hand is NO GOOD, you check-fold. so instead of scooping a decent pot, you lost. thats a significant swing in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't quite right. When you raise JJ, get 2 callers, and the flop is Kxx, you're going to win a smallish pot or lose a big one. If they all fold preflop, you win a small pot. You should raise JJ preflop most of the time, but the reason isn't in anticipation of a Kxx flop (even though it gives you a chance of still behing ahead on this flop). Whether you raise or limp, you're not looking for a Kxx flop.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Bump!

Are you insane? Write a letter to Erick Lindgren about how dumb he was to limp 2nd to act with JJ as well. Note that this time we are facing an UTG raiser, and 2 callers.

Also you are talking about the wrong hand.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 PM

Why are we talking about limping with JJ? In the other hand mentioned, THE POT WAS RAISED AND CALLED IN TWO PLACES BEFORE US.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine ever making a raise after limpers in NL holdem for the sole purpose of "buying the button".

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with a hand like KQs that's bound to flop a draw, so position is absolutely critital as to the cost of playing the hand?

I don't understand that.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I guess I just don't like the phrase. However I've never made a raise after a few limpers with the sole strategic purpose of being last to act for the entire hand. There are always going to be more important reasons to raise if I decide to do so.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM

I don't know. I think this a weak-tight way to play AA. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 09:29 PM

I don't mind the limp PF. I think the crime in this hand is not betting the flop hard. Get those summertime hands outa there. I'd like to get this pot heads up w/ TPTK or such. This way I have 15 clean outs. There's no hand you can be drawing dead to. Worse case you're up against AX [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and you have 6 outs, and the opportunity to take the hand away.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 PM

This flop is likely to have hit somebody, and may have hit somebody fairly hard. If it's been checked to you, checking behind guarantees your seeing the turn. If you bet, you may get reraised out of the hand by someone who is planning a checkraise.

I like a check.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:59 PM

How can you fold KQs PF with two limpers?
Do you only play pocket Aces?
It is a WPT tourney. Not a cash game.
I won't fold even in a cash game
Old 08-03-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW... I bought McEvoy's/Cloutier's Championship Hold'em last year for a class at college. Never opened it. Is it really that bad? Should I just return the damn thing and get something else? (Already own HoH1 and HoH2).

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Championship No Limit & Pot Limit and it screwed me up bad for a long time. If you read it, take everything they say with a grain of salt.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you insane? Write a letter to Erick Lindgren about how dumb he was to limp 2nd to act with JJ as well. Note that this time we are facing an UTG raiser, and 2 callers.

Also you are talking about the wrong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. are u agreeing with me that u gotta raise JJ here?