Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Palmiero tests positive for steroids?

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the actual steroids themselves and just hates all the [censored] lying about it?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you can justify putting a guy, even one with Bonds' numbers, in The HOF if he did it by using steroids. It just boggles my mind how you could say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

u still have to hit the ball. Obviously it wasn't all steroids. Even if we reduce bonds' numbers by 20% (IMO way to dramatic a figure to attribute to steroids), he still gets in. Legitamite objections to Bonds' induction because of steorids is solely a "principled" argument, right?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:47 PM

I agree.

People are naive. So many guys have used them in this era, it is almost part of the game now. (hopefully not for long).

When I graduated high school in 01 I was told twice that I should consider steriods in a round-about way.

Minor League friend of mine told me I would have a chance in the draft if I "fell on a needle".

And at a Diamondback tryout the scout told me I was "15 pounds of muscle in 6 months, short of being offered a contract after the draft."
Old 08-01-2005, 01:50 PM

I think Steriods took Barry Bonds from a good HOF player to a legendary top 3 home run hitters of all time.

Steriods do help, if you want proof look at Brady Anderson's numbers in 95 then look at 96.

Do you think his contact/swing really improved that much?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball. If this is true, I hope he never gets a sniff of Cooperstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? Do you seriously support induction into The Hall of Fame for a man who tested positive for steroids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and, FWIW, I put Bonds in the hall and I'm 1000% certain he took steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you can justify putting a guy, even one with Bonds' numbers, in The HOF if he did it by using steroids. It just boggles my mind how you could say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's debatable how much effect the juice has on numbers.
IMO there are two issues:
a) the extent to which steroids help
b) the fact that you are breaking the rules

Look at bat corking, for example. It's against the rules, so it makes Sosa a cheater. But corking doesn't make the ball go farther. If anything, it might take a few feet OFF. So his NUMBERS aren't tainted because of it, but his rep is.

I'm not saying that steroids and corking are equal. I'm just pointing out the two issues I would take into account if I was voting for HOF in these situations. For me, Bonds is a no-brainer HOF. For Raffy, he was borderline anyway, so maybe this pushes him out. I don't know.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about the actual steroids themselves and just hates all the [censored] lying about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!

It reminds me of the Clinton/Blow Job incident. It wasn't nearly as big of a deal that he did it, as it was that he took us all for morons by arguing what the meaning of the word, 'is' is.

It's ABSOLUTLEY the lying that is the worst part. Same with Pete Rose...the funny thing is that if you wait too long to come clean...that's even worse than the lying...it's a vicious cycle I guess.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Borderline anyway????

No way he was/is first ballot guy. If he isn't then Eddie Murray shouldn't be in.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball. If this is true, I hope he never gets a sniff of Cooperstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? Do you seriously support induction into The Hall of Fame for a man who tested positive for steroids?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave Bonds the 'benefit of the doubt' when this all started. But, today, I think he just needs to quietly retire and do not think he should be in the HOF.

My big problem with him and anyone else that says they 'unknowingly' juiced is 'lack of outrage'...

How the [censored] do you become a professional athelete and not be aware of everything that is entering your body. And, once you do become aware of your "unknowing" use of steriods, how do you not come out in complete condemnation of 'what has been done to you'

I forget the exact date, but short after the Balco testimony was leaked, Bonds reportedly was going to hold a news conference, with his lawyers present, to address the issue.

It never happened.

I wanted to believe him and think that in the conference, he was going to condem Balco, tell the public how he was going to sue the people that did this to him and all that good stuff...

But instead...he cancelled. My guess is for fear of lying on the record.

So, following his lead...I have also cancelled my support for him .
Old 08-01-2005, 02:07 PM

Of course steroids help. But WRT Brady, do people think he stopped taking them? His 50 occurred when he was 32 years old. I've always kinda thought that year was a freak mix of a great year, teams inability to change their scouting reports, steroids, and hard work.

If it was all steroids we would expect him to have similar years, right? But his next higest total is 24. Am I nuts?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about because using steroids has been against the rules for about a year.