Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Verbal Is Binding (Low Content)

Pretty good 4-8 w/ full kill at Pechanga.
Huge LAG in seat 1, he open raises almost at complete random, plays decent post flop, and has been winning a lot. He also yells at the dealers a lot and demands to see every hand at showdown. This is making a lot of players angry and is tilting the table. I like my 3 seat at the moment.
Anyway on to the hand: 7 handed due to a couple walkers.
Two limpers, LAG is on the button and raises, SB folds and I call in the BB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
4 to the flop

4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I am first to act and announce "Check raise" Checked to LAG who bets and I do indeed Check raise, 1 limper folds, the other calls, LAG threebets ( which means he does indeed have a pair) and we both call.

Turn:
8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I again announce Check raise, checked to LAG who bets and I check raise as promised, he says in a wierd accent " You do it again?" and I say the title of the post. Anyway Lady in the middle calls which is starting to worry me, even though she is mostly lp. LAG Three bets again, I just call.

River:
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Final Board
4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])(8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

I announce one more time "Check raise" Check to lag who bets, I checkraise, lady calls LAG threebets, I cap, lady folds and LAG calls.
Thoughts on the verbal Trifecta?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Verbal Is Binding (Low Content)

Mabey I missed something but why would you ever announce your intention to check raise it seems like your asking for only strong hands to play against you
Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 PM

He's just screwing around with a LAG. Part of the LAG's thrill is to be the table captain and push everyone around. the LAG often wants to put the table on tilt so they play poorly against him/her.

I think this is -EV but clearly it is a lot of fun. Saying Check raise isn't binding and screwing around with a LAG shouldn't be considered angle shooting especially since He followed through on what He said.

If He said Check Raise as an attempt to get a free card or induce others to check, then that would be a clear angle shoot.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
screwing around with a LAG shouldn't be considered angle shooting especially since He followed through on what He said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoah... did God just checkraise somebody? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If He said Check Raise as an attempt to get a free card or induce others to check, then that would be a clear angle shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how are the players in between the Hero and the LAG supposed to know Hero's actual intentions?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And how are the players in between the Hero and the LAG supposed to know Hero's actual intentions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should hero care?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should hero care?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if Hero should care. I was responding to steamboatin's assertion that it is the intention behind Hero's action which determines whether or not it is an angleshoot.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:17 AM

I'm so jealous. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 07:14 AM

I don't believe that your declaration to checkraise is binding, since your only action when it is checked to you is to either bet or check. Claiming that you will later raise a potential bet is acting out of turn, and would likely be uninforceable.

Congratulations, though, on potentially being an annoying angle-shooter.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations, though, on being an annoying angle-shooter.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.