Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 02:45 PM

Default flopped set against French maniacs and scary board

This is from a full ring game with 2-4 euro blinds at the Aviation Club in Paris. Everyone at the table is just jaw-droppingly bad, save for one player (not involved in the hand) and me, I hope. Calling all in with just draws, top pair no kicker, two overs, you get the idea. I have 206 euros to start with and villain barely covers me. (this may sound small relative to the blinds, but most people have around 100 and I was actually the second biggest stack after the Villain.)

Several people limp and I知 on the button with red threes and limp as well. We see a flop with 5 players.

(20 euros) Flop: 3c 4s 6c

SB bets out 8, BB calls, and MP (Villain) bumps it up to 60, and folded to Hero on button.

You just can never be sure with these people. I知 slightly concerned about being up against a bigger set or a 5-7 or 2-5 straight. The straight would seem unlikely but these people are capable of having anything. But my biggest concern is being up against multiple draws and being sucked out on. I知 actually pretty sure I知 ahead of all of them now because these are the kind of people who slow play any strong hand, even with a straight and flush draw on board. What do you do? Just flat call the 60 or push in hoping for the best? I felt this was a difficult spot because I have no real read on any of them other than that they have no clue as to how to make a poker decision. I知 actually thinking I might have the best hand but am afraid that I値l get a call from every one of the remaining three. Then I値l be up against a straight draw, flush draw, and an over pair to the board. Should I just call and see the turn before committing my whole stack?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: flopped set against French maniacs and scary board

My thought is -- if a scary card comes on the turn, can you get away from your set? I push...and hope someone calls with a draw.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:23 PM

I'd probably push here. Like you said, why wouldn't the raiser trap with the straight if that had been his consistent play the whole night? You obviously don't have a loose table image and he's probably just trying to push you out of the pot.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:25 PM

Theyre ~19 cards in the deck you dont want to see on the turn. Id go for an overcall here and push turn on any card that is in the other half of the deck.

If you fill up, go for a call on turn or if leading 1/2 pot.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:26 PM

u have a set with 50 bb's. push.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:49 PM

Default RESULTS : flopped set against French maniacs and scary board

I thought about it for a minute, because I really wasn't certain what to do, and decided to push it in. The SB and BB folded immediately and the Villain thought for what seemed like forever. In fact, I was sure he would fold. I even heard him talking to himself wondering if I had a set or 2-5 or 5-7, so I knew I was good. He ended up calling. And I nearly crapped my pants when the turn and river hit. The final board was 3c 4s 6c Kc 7h. No way this is good, but he was reluctant to show his hand, so I flipped over my set and he mucked. Don't know what he had, but I'm guessing two pair or an over pair to the flop. Maybe even A-6. Anyway I scooped about 440 euros. Finally the exchange rate is working for me.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: RESULTS : flopped set against French maniacs and scary board

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about it for a minute, because I really wasn't certain what to do, and decided to push it in. The SB and BB folded immediately and the Villain thought for what seemed like forever. In fact, I was sure he would fold. I even heard him talking to himself wondering if I had a set or 2-5 or 5-7, so I knew I was good. He ended up calling. And I nearly crapped my pants when the turn and river hit. The final board was 3c 4s 6c Kc 7h. No way this is good, but he was reluctant to show his hand, so I flipped over my set and he mucked. Don't know what he had, but I'm guessing two pair or an over pair to the flop. Maybe even A-6. Anyway I scooped about 440 euros. Finally the exchange rate is working for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo!