Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Anyone change their view of Hellmuth?

[ QUOTE ]
He did a great job commentating.

The biggest problem with Hellmuth is he thinks people "deserve" to win, and poker should be 100% skill, 0% luck. He just doesn't seem to get that there is a TON of luck in the game. Look at his style of play, he tries to make luck as small a factor as possible. Unfortunately, he made the wrong career choice if he doesn't want luck to be such a factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is so wrong with believing that? if TJ Cloutier were at the final table, there would be a zillion threads/posts about how much he deserves it, blah blah. I believe Matusow deserved the Championship more than anyone at the final table, but he did not win, oh well...what can be done? nothing unfortunately.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 AM

Hellmuth was hilarious, especially when it was him and Lindgren. It was great when he was using references to Harry Potter
Old 07-18-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth was hilarious, especially when it was him and Lindgren. It was great when he was using references to Harry Potter

[/ QUOTE ]

what were the references?

thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 02:07 AM

re: OP,

uh.. no.

he's still a know-it-all.

i loved how he totally backed out of danny n's challenge to fork up $500k and play him at the wynn
"any game you want any time" l0lz
Old 07-18-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what were the references?

[/ QUOTE ]

He mentioned Harry Potter a couple times, I forget why the first time (maybe about the new book coming out?). The second time was in reference to how at that point in the broadcast Andrew Black was stealing every pot and dominating the table, so Phil made some reference to Sirius Black (something about poker wizardry). Lindgren didn't understand what the hell he was talking about, so Phil explained, "He's a very powerful wizard", or something to that effect.

It was pretty funny at the time, one of the many gems from Hellmuth on the night. Might have been one of those had to be there (and that sleep deprived) type things.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 AM

I thought Hellmuth did a great job commentating, but i have always liked Hellmuth to an extent.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 12:11 PM

Email card player and let them know you'd like an archived version of it. If enough people ask I'm sure they'll put it up.

T
Old 07-18-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Phil Helmuth did a great job. (only final table and was doing shifts but he did most of it). Daniel Negraneau I feel is a bit better technically, but Phil was probably second best commentator.

It's kinda funny how he says "drawing dead" so liberally even when the person has 6 outs....he ain't drawing dead then Phil.

I was really impressed with Phil's reads though, great to hear a broadcast where commentators don't know the hands, you really get to see how these great players think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Email card player and let them know you'd like an archived version of it. If enough people ask I'm sure they'll put it up.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing that so it'd be nice if every1 else did
Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't listen to the whole thing, but I did get that Hellmuth really does love some poker. He loves the game and wants to see the best players win all the time. He still takes it too seriously though. He even freaks out when someone else gets bad beated. He doesn't take into account the reason why he is so rich in general is bad players take shots with -EV. They're going to hit every once and a while. Guy needs to take beats less seriously, nothing you can do about it, move on to the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is an excellent commentator. He usually charges 25k a night to host play and commentate poker parties, so he has a lot of experiance.