Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: 3/8 ppls at table flame me. I contend this was a brilliant push.

(a) I recognize at least one name of the limpers who's somewhat loose and likely to call your push with a semi-wide range of hands;

(b) You have plenty of chips (17 BB), no need to stick your neck out uneccessarily;

(c) Would you push 87s at the 75/150 level for 800 from UTG 7-handed (6 people left to act like here)? That's somewhat borderline, plus you have a bunch of factors working against you in this 25/50 hand:
-The BB is only 50 here vs. 150 in the 75/150 example, so you have plenty more time;
-Your push here screams "I'm stealing with semi-crap" - you will get looked up here often enough with non-premium hands (that you're a sizable dog against);
-3 players to act have money invested already, meaning you're not stealing against 3 random hands, but three hands worthy of a BB investment.
-People do limp big hands to trap loose pushers all the time at 25/50 (chances are it's not, but it's more than a rare occurrence);

(d) I love playing against players that make these push plays. I see crap once, note gets taken, I know I can call with a wider range of hands for a solid +EV play. There's a (more selective) time and place to push crap on limpers, but a much better play on the short(ish) stack is to push a hand that doesn't do great in a multiway pot, but does decently (like 50%&gt against the likely range of calling hands. IMO anyway.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:18 PM

I like the play at the 25/50 level and that is really about it. Higher blinds and you are offering too good of pot odds for someone not to call, and any lower and its not worth the risk imo.

If I saw that kind of raise, I would probably put you on a a medium to low pocket pair and so really the only hands that should be looking to call are jj+ and maybe AK. I don't play the 109's or anything but the odds of someone limping with that kind of premium hand are low enough to make this maybe a slightly +EV move.

Quick side note - How often do you smooth call monsters in this sort of situation. Especially with one call already?? I personally would be raising this 99.9% of the time.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:19 PM

I 8-table 30+3 so my experience might not be relevant for the 100+9 but I think people call for several reasons in this spot. Gamble is one or they get upset and want to punish the pusher, curiosity is another. However 87s is a good hand to have if they actually call.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:41 PM

That Ryba555 is a trickery-pokery type of player. When he's in the pot I always play it careful.

Damn Russians.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:08 PM

I've managed to get by somehow without ever doing anything like this in over 2500 sit and gos. I'm not a fan, I feel like much better situations come up later for a good player.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:10 PM

Give him some credit. He is a dancing bear.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:48 PM

In my experience you're gonna get a lot of ppl who will call with AT+ and 77+ here just to see wtf you have. I'd only ever consider doing this (but i never actually do it) if my stack was in medium-low range (but not too low since you DONT want callers) , since if you win you are going to be close to your original stack.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:01 PM

in my experience you can sometimes pull of plays like this with 3 LP limpers, but without solid reads this is suicidal against 3 EP limpres.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 AM

Why not just limp behind? 78s does very well multiway. You flop well and you stack someone vs. pushing and likely going broke or picking up a pretty small pot.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:20 AM

I agree with Curtins though I don't like this play. WAY too many people left in the hand. I am all for taking risks but only ones that make sense, I think if you are looking at this from a EV standpoint it's a longterm negative. ESP, if you continue to play that way, the regulars are going to pick it up and start to play looser against you, maybe that is a good thing but I think you will have to play with better hands in the long run and loose some bet credibility.