Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Raymer Repeat = -EV

If the Red Sox win the World Series every year does it stop every little town team from playing or you guys having a quick throw around with your mates.

I dont think Greg winning again is +-EV in the grand scheme of things, poker is big now I really dont think it matters who wins as long as the shows are hyped up enough when shown on the tv and are exciting etc.

A pro winning the WSOP is not going to bring the sky down on everyones heads.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the Red Sox win the World Series every year does it stop every little town team from playing ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been established a long time ago that people like to watch a game that has suspense. A dynasty in sports is extremely good for the dynasty team, marginally for the others. A dynasty in sports generates interest, by itself, to the sport, but diversity is what brings in bums to the seats (couch or stadium seats) and those bums get there for the long term.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the Red Sox win the World Series every year does it stop every little town team from playing ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been established a long time ago that people like to watch a game that has suspense. A dynasty in sports is extremely good for the dynasty team, marginally for the others. A dynasty in sports generates interest, by itself, to the sport, but diversity is what brings in bums to the seats (couch or stadium seats) and those bums get there for the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Uhhhh...yup, and before last year, I've been bummin around Fenway for way too many years!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 09:25 AM

I don't think it matters who wins. ESPN will run the series for months and it will get huge ratings and new fans. I remember some of the earlier players in last year's show more than Raymer actually winning it. One Mattias Andersen on the tv will make up for a plain vanilla champ.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:44 AM

I have to disagree, even though Raymer isn't ideal from a bringing in new people standpoint; the additional publicity of a repeat champ with such incredibly enormous fields is still well worth the slight demographic weakness. Still if it's not Raymer, some young gun pro with a hyperaggressive fast playing style like Pete Lawson or The Grinder Mizrachi would be great for drawing in more people.

Just cross your fingers it's not Farzhad Bonyadi or Lee Watkinson because they are even less charaismatic than Raymer and wouldn't get the extra publicity.

All of this is still very, very premature, I'd say that Raymer, Watkinson, Mizrachi etc are all in the 300-1 shot category with it this far still to go, chances are it'll be somone none of us have ever heard of before.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to disagree, even though Raymer isn't ideal from a bringing in new people standpoint; the additional publicity of a repeat champ with such incredibly enormous fields is still well worth the slight demographic weakness. Still if it's not Raymer, some young gun pro with a hyperaggressive fast playing style like Pete Lawson or The Grinder Mizrachi would be great for drawing in more people.

Just cross your fingers it's not Farzhad Bonyadi or Lee Watkinson because they are even less charaismatic than Raymer and wouldn't get the extra publicity.

All of this is still very, very premature, I'd say that Raymer, Watkinson, Mizrachi etc are all in the 300-1 shot category with it this far still to go, chances are it'll be somone none of us have ever heard of before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering as of the end of day 2 Raymer has 1/176.3 of the chips in play. I'm thinking his odds are a good deal higher than 300-1 right now.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from responses to my last thread about who would bring the most fish to the game, I think it's the general concensus that raymer (a geeky, educated guy) repeating would hasten the impending collapse of the poker bubble. agree?

maybe -EV, but the great accomplishment in the history of poker.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2005, 12:15 PM

+EV, -EV -- who cares? i'll be happy for greg if he wins.

i don't think it will change the party 5/10 6 max game one way or the other.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from responses to my last thread about who would bring the most fish to the game, I think it's the general concensus that raymer (a geeky, educated guy) repeating would hasten the impending collapse of the poker bubble. agree?

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe -EV or +EV, but the great accomplishment in the history of poker.

(maybe I should start using the preview feature)
Old 07-11-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Who is Gavin Griffen

Well, I might as well be the one who tells you:

Pot Limit Hold'em champ in 2004, at 23 (then the youngest to win a bracelet). Wore an ugly green shirt.