Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: cross posted from SMP \"age of consent\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Domestic implications of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for now.

We have a system in place which (generally) encourages people to develop themselves to their potential. The resources exist for those who wish to use them, including the disadvantaged.

What is not supplied is motivation. If you want it, though, you can get just about anything you want here. (US)

I do think that we should abolish the department of education, though. I think they are holding us back in a terrible way. That is a discussion for another time, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

My main point is that we as a society have certain values like age of consent but also what a marriage is. I believe it is well within a societies right to have its values reflected in its laws, and that it is simply not enough to say well X law is based on religion therefore unjust or illegitmate and being based on a religion is not enough of a reason to overturn a reverse a law even when some people disagree or are restricted by said law.

Laws are legitimate when they reflect the values of the people. it is ridiculous to say that if there is disagreement on these values, there should then be no law at all so that nobody is restricted.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A child does not have the maturity or the experience to make such a decision. Sex can lead to pregnacy and sometimes to death (STDs). You cannot ask a child to make that kind of decision as most children do not understand that people can hurt them. They are innocent and can be manipulated so easily by adults.
Laws should be determined by votes of the entire population and should be determined by our values as a whole and by what is in the best interests of everyone

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems like a fair point except, why is it that a 25 year old man who has sex with a consenting 16 year old be charged with statutory rape, while the same 16 year old's class mate of the same age can have consenting sex with her legally. i guess what i am saying is that if she is "mature" enough in the eyes of the law to make the decision to have sex with someone her own age then she is mature enough to make the same decision with a partner, regardless of his age
Old 07-10-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A child does not have the maturity or the experience to make such a decision. Sex can lead to pregnacy and sometimes to death (STDs). You cannot ask a child to make that kind of decision as most children do not understand that people can hurt them. They are innocent and can be manipulated so easily by adults.
Laws should be determined by votes of the entire population and should be determined by our values as a whole and by what is in the best interests of everyone

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems like a fair point except, why is it that a 25 year old man who has sex with a consenting 16 year old be charged with statutory rape, while the same 16 year old's class mate of the same age can have consenting sex with her legally. i guess what i am saying is that if she is "mature" enough in the eyes of the law to make the decision to have sex with someone her own age then she is mature enough to make the same decision with a partner, regardless of his age

[/ QUOTE ]

You make an excellent point. Society has its flaws. I guess we had to draw the line somewhere. unfortunately in the instance that you mentioned, it does not make sense.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious as to what solution you would propose?
Old 07-11-2005, 01:47 AM

If you can find a way to impose your way of life on another society without cost please communiate with the White House so they can use that method to spread democracy rather than the method they presently use.

Perhaps we can also use this same way of imposing our values to convert all to Christianity (which is clearly the right way) and to make them all love us rather than hate us.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can find a way to impose your way of life on another society without cost please communiate with the White House so they can use that method to spread democracy rather than the method they presently use.

Perhaps we can also use this same way of imposing our values to convert all to Christianity (which is clearly the right way) and to make them all love us rather than hate us.

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't my point I was only wanting to ignore that aspect of the arguement and focus on if it would be right or not.

Come on you usually do well in these things I was hoping for better from you. I know you understood what I was getting at.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cross posted "age of consent" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should cross-post elsewhere too. Here are some of the answers you will get :

PHILOSOPHY : "Age of content. FYP"

SCIENCE, MATH, PHILOSOPHY : "The Jewish Bible says nothing about age and the Christian Bible says nothing about consent. GO AWAY."

INTERNET : "The whole age of consent thing is RIGGED!"

SPORTS : "I like the O/U at 16".

BEGINNERS : "I didn't quite understand but I have another question".

WORLD POKER TOUR : "This is awsome, just awsome !!!"

OTHER OTHER TOPICS: "Stick it in her pooper."
Old 07-11-2005, 10:57 AM

Oh, I understand.

However, the question does not hold up to scrutiny when you include the word impose and no cost together. The next question then is should we do it if it only costs 10 dollars and one life.

Note that we are busy spreading Christian values across the word without imposition via thousands of missionaries handing out largesse (spiritual and monetary) to the poor.

Meanwhile, we might want to ask the Europeans to "impose" their opposition to having budweiser called a beer on us. We would be better off with less bud and more, say, Hoegarten.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:52 AM

While the "imposing" proposition is silly, here is a slightly more serious response.

There is no doubt that attaching stigma to certain activities causes the mind to react when those taboos are broken. Children discover sexuality at a young age. I must confess to having been caught practicing doctor on a neighbours daughter at the age of 8 (she talked).

As parents we push the childs hand away from the genitals even as the childs hand is attracted to the stimulus (i am guessing that is why the child wants to play with her/himself). This is often the first sex lesson taught to child.

Growing up, most children are taught that sex is bad (or in some cases the subject is avoided all together). THat it is better to wait till you are old enough, that it should only be for love, etc, etc. While these days the AIDS and STD boogie man is raised (of course condom education is seej as too permissive) the real message is NO DONT DO IT.. Coming from parent these are all important lessons with long standing impacts.

Coming to age of consent. Putting aside the real concerns of STD and focussing on psychological impact, I would say that it is destructive to the child because (in part) we have created an environment where sexual activity is destructive is drummed into our heads and we are all ashamed of it.

So, when a society sets a different psychological environment, the impact of the age of consent is different.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:11 PM

It's important to note that age of consent laws originally did not consider the young girl to be the "victim" of the crime - her parents (father, actually) was the victim. Children were, until recently, legally considered the property of their father. In this framework, taking a young, unmarried girl's virginity is, in a way, stealing value from the father. He might not be able to arrange as advantageous of a wedding if she is deflowered.