Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Poker Stars AA v. KK hand for Review

OK, This is a case of "I got rivered by a two outer".

But did I play it wrong?

I limped in hopes of trapping...then...

After getting my check raise re-raised at the flop I was actually seeing trips at that point and backed off.

I don't think anything I could've done would've folded the KK's... But what do you think?

Should I have steamed ahead, or was throttling back an OK thing to do?

What of limping with AA?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ac Ah (one pair, aces).
MP2 has Kc Kh (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: MP2 wins 11.70 BB. </font>
Old 07-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Poker Stars AA v. KK hand for Review

yes you played it wrong. you can debate whether or not you bet out or c/r the flop. but going into call down mode when you are 3-bet is wrong. he capped pre-flop, his play is consistent with a big PP so you play accordingly.

"I don't think anything I could've done would've folded the KK's... But what do you think?"

read some more poker books, the point of the game is not too fold 2 outers.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Poker Stars AA v. KK hand for Review

Cap the flop. lead the turn, THEN if you get raised I would go into call down mode. Until this happens you have to assume you have the best hand.

JJ, QQ, KK and an aggressive player with ATs will play the exact way your opponent did and you need to make them pay because you will be ahead often enough for this to be profitable.

Personally I dont like to limp reraise big pairs because too often you let people into the hand with inferior hands that like to see flops, such as 87s or ATs, that wouldnt call raises from EP, but will call 1 more, or 2 cold after putting one small bet in the pot.