Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Default What\'s the deal with limp re-raising?

I have not read much on this play. Does it have any merit? It's not a play I have in my arsonal. The set of hands I would limp with contains none of the hands I would re-raise with. Should I consider limping better hands to trap, or re-raising marginla hands as a bluff? Or both?

The other day in a small buy-in MTT the table limps around with maybe one folder. On the button I have 88 and try to thin the field with a raise. A MP player re-raises all-in. Folds back to me. I pretty sure the best play is to fold here, but this was the first time I've been hit with a limp re-raise, so I called just to see what he had. I was expecting aces, but he had jacks. That really made me scratch my head. Is this a good play with jacks?

Summing up my questions: When should you limp re-raise, and with what hands? What hands are worth calling a limp re-raise?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: What\'s the deal with limp re-raising?

[ QUOTE ]
When should you limp re-raise, and with what hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is highly situation-dependant. Factors include stack size, your table image, how loose/tight your table is, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
What hands are worth calling a limp re-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, AA. But I've seen people limp reraise with crap like QJo, 22, etc.

So, in conclusion, there are no answers to the two questions you've asked. Sorry.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:31 PM

The limp-reraise is a great play to use from early position at very aggressive table. If you find yourself with AA/KK at a table with 1 or 2 villians who raise a lot, especially from late position with limpers, this play can build your stack nicely. Of course when it fails (and you're not reraised) and there are a few limpers into the flop, you might find yourslef SOL [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Just to add-on to what Auggie said, some guys will use the limpreraise as a bluff b/c often times it does mean AA when it comes form an EP limper. I would say you would really have to have a good read on who's at the table, what your image probably is, and that the other players are observant enough for you to actually have an image to try this bluff.

As for the JJ limp reraise, I think it's a pretty awful play.

yabastid
Old 07-10-2005, 05:38 PM

Yeah, aces or maybe kings if it's not a bluff. TJ calls it "second-hand low" when the AA is not the first limper and hopes for a raise.