Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Vote for the posters you hate more
AngryCola 11 6.18%
Arnfinn Madsen 7 3.93%
BusterStacks 13 7.30%
Daliman 7 3.93%
daryn 16 8.99%
Gamblor 11 6.18%
Gordon Bombay 11 6.18%
Grey 7 3.93%
housenuts 7 3.93%
hutz 3 1.69%
jakethebake 21 11.80%
kurosh 5 2.81%
mason55 2 1.12%
MelK 6 3.37%
Paul Philips 6 3.37%
PITTM 6 3.37%
TheMetetron 8 4.49%
Thomastem 5 2.81%
tyfromm 11 6.18%
Wacko Jacko 15 8.43%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical situation, i\'d like opinions.

you are lucky you got anything. i have people do this for me all the time and i usually give them nothing.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
25% would be the "standard" toke for something like that. I bet if you asked 100 regular tournament players who have been in the poker community since before the WPT, Chris Moneymaker, and the Unabomber... 75 or more of them would say "25%."

I would have given the dude 25% and asked him if he was cool with that... willing to go up to 33% if it seemed like he was bummed. On the other end, I would have expected 25%, but taken 20% without any fuss.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I wouldn't look at it like a toke, I'd look at it like a split. Sure, details shoulda been firmed up before, but like I said, seemed like a gentleman's agreement.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are lucky you got anything. i have people do this for me all the time and i usually give them nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

KInda surprised anyone plays for you then.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also kind of agree with this. Even though if I won, I would give a small cut, 18% is a nice sum.

I just would like the person to return the favor to me.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
25% would be the "standard" toke for something like that. I bet if you asked 100 regular tournament players who have been in the poker community since before the WPT, Chris Moneymaker, and the Unabomber... 75 or more of them would say "25%."

I would have given the dude 25% and asked him if he was cool with that... willing to go up to 33% if it seemed like he was bummed. On the other end, I would have expected 25%, but taken 20% without any fuss.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I wouldn't look at it like a toke, I'd look at it like a split. Sure, details shoulda been firmed up before, but like I said, seemed like a gentleman's agreement.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why it's not a "split" is because the tourney was played on the winner's account. The first leg player wasn't going to give the winner 50% of the buy-in back if he busted... he was on a freeroll.

Anytime a player accepts all of the risk, he deserves more than 50% of the payout... almost regardless of other factors.

Irieguy
Old 07-08-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why it's not a "split" is because the tourney was played on the winner's account. The first leg player wasn't going to give the winner 50% of the buy-in back if he busted... he was on a freeroll.

Anytime a player accepts all of the risk, he deserves more than 50% of the payout... almost regardless of other factors.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

The first leg player assumed he would be liable for half the entry if he lost.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first leg player assumed he would be liable for half the entry if he lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you make all these assumptions? Talk this stuff out beforehand and then everyone is on the same page.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:10 AM

What happened to just doing people favors? Just offer to be a friend and play the 2 hours for him pro bono, with the general understanding that he'll do the same type favor for you down the road when you are in a bind.

If things good well and he offers to toss you a few bucks/case of beer/new car then just be happy for that.

I presume though that there was some sort of vague agrement to "split" or "give you a cut" or whatever. But if you make a post and dont specify what went on behind the scenes, how are we supposed to vote/opine on what was right?

Summary: You got 18%. Why so whiny?

BL'...dons mudslinging attire

Edit: in time spent typing, i see you would have considered yourself liable to re-imburse if you busted. Ok, evidently this was more of a joint-effort than jsut "covering for a guy"

Disregard any parts of above post than are no longer applicable.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say a player asks you to play in a multi-table tournament for him for the first couple hours on his account, then he will take over when he gets home. You assume you are going to be 50/50 on this, but it's never specifically discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this just some random guy or a friend? Sounds like some random guy.

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't gonna make a big deal out of it at the moment, cuz he might stiff you entirely then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously, I wouldn't be entering into an agreement that doesn't exist with a person I thought may shaft me if I so much as mentioned that I thought the amount offered was unfair.

Very silly hypothetical situation if you ask me!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:43 AM

Last part of the tournament is where it becomes more difficult.

Plus you didn't have to put up any buyin.... But he said 20% so he should payup the other 2%